Rendering problems since this weekend

Kristyna Lykin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I'm having major rendering problems ever since this weekend. As I have not changed any of my computer and/or viewer settings, the only conclusion I can make is that you have changed something that does affect me badly:

I am running an older computer with lowest graphic settings possible. My computer does meet the system requirements though. However, the news is, not even my avatar rezzes anymore, no matter how long I'm waiting, hair and attachments just won't come over being a sphere.

I am no newbie and I know how to get over the minor rezzing problems that always used to emerge from time to time. I have done rebakes, cleared cache, reset to standard avatars, even reinstalled the viewer - same for four days now!

Someone please tell me what the hell is going on, it's not possible to play the game this way.

Thanks and best regards

Submit a support ticket.  In the mean time reboot your router and modem.  And remember there have been several server code upgrades over the last few weeks.  Upgrades that bring new features to the grid.  Things that put more load on the users computers (even if the user is not using the features, the code is there and the data it present when your viewer recieves it).  If you have a minimally spec'd machine it's entirely possible that SL has outgrown your computer........if not this time, it will happen sooner or later (at the rate things are changing now my bet is sooner).

A graphics card/adapter update may help..........but I'm not putting any lindens on it.

Without knowing what viewer version and region your are in, it is not possible to give you specific answers.

Use Help->About from within the viewer, after or before login, and copy paste the information here.

The main grid is divided into 4 or 5 channels, at any given time. About 20% of the grid is within 3 release channels. Each group of those regions runs different server software. You can get the version and channel designator from ABOUT. You can then look up what new features and bug fixes are running in a specific channel. Look in Second Life Server for 'Deploys for the week of...'

On Tuesday the majority of the grid is updated, the main channel. On Wednesday the release channels are usually updated. Release channels tend to get more updates and restarts and those can happen at any time. Tursday is typical. Unless it is an emergency, you won't see restarts or updates on the weekend in any channel. In rare cases the ADITI grid changes on a weekend. But, that is when a Linden has a special project they are working with.

When a version of the main viewer causes you a problem, after an update, roll back one version. I download viewers and then install rather than use the auto-update process. I keep the old viewer install file until I know the new one works.

The alternative is to move up a version by loading the beta version of the viewer. You'll find it on the SL download page. Beta versions have problems, but hopefully they will be different problems. The current 3.1.0 viewer has new problems with Collada mesh uploads. The 3.2.1 Dev viewer tends to crash after teleports and has the new user interface, which is nice. The 3.0 to 3/1 versions have an OpenGL issue or two. Turning off AA is a fix for some cards. Turning of VBO fixes other video cards.

From the ABOUT info you can get your video card model and search this forum and SLUniverse to find if others are having problems with that card. There are usually work-arounds or fixes that pop quickly. You need to research to find out if your card needs the newest or a specific older video driver to work well with SL. For many nVisia users 260.99 is the driver to use. 

Things change quickly. So, always do some research before you start changing your computer. Also be sure to read the Grid Status notes for the last few days. You can often get a hint of whether it is your computer or SL that has the problem.

You can also read the SL crash log to see if you can get a clue to what is wrong. Its in Roaming.

If you play Facebook games, that can create problems. Close the browser before starting SL. I can run SL and play Backyard Monsters and get an nVidia error 4 about every other time I try it.

If you have persistent problems across several viewer restarts, reboot the computer. It is not uncommon for an SL thread to keep running after a viewer crash. A reboot is the easy fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.