We're having trouble connecting message for two days now

Taerie Waverider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I logged off when I got a message for region restart and was never able to log on again.   Using Firestorm or Phoenix the message is:

We're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or the second life Grid. You can either check your internet connection and try again in a a few minutes, click Help to view the Second Life Support Portal or click Teleport to attempt to teleport home.

When I use the Second Life Viewer it gets as far as "waiting for handshake" before it fails.

I tried it on both a windows running Windows XP and a Mac running Tiger.   I also tried turning off my firewall, rebooting the computer and rebooting the modem.   Still same problem.

We are on a satellite connection and it is running as usual.   Living here out in the country with a satellite connection Second Life is the only game I can play because satellite is slow.  (I have no other internet options.) Please don't tell me the recent change to Second Life puts that out of my reach too. :-(

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edit:  I checked the google site on editing DNS settings and they say If you aren't proficient at changing DNS settings you shouldn't attempt it.   Since I hardly know what a DNS setting even IS I think that they mean me. :-)  I hope that they fix whatever is causing this soon and that it isn't permanent after all the money I have spent setting up in SL.  It is my entertainment in the Winter and it is closing in fast out here in the boondocks.   Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Actually, there HAVE been connection problems for one week due to major OS update and successive restarts. Always look at the grid status on your dashboard. These restarts are shown as resolved 2 or 3 times everyday but there are others to come everynight. All we can do is be patient.

You're definitely having a connection problem.  The "waiting for handshake" error usually means that your firewall is blocking access to SL, but if you have turned the firewall off it must be more than that.  You could be having trouble connecting to DNS servers, so you might try changing your DNS settings to use Google's free public DNS servers instead of whatever your ISP has provided for you.   If you want to try  that, see >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ .  Other than that, I don't know what to suggest at the moment.

• Like 1

Hello there,

I don't think it's just you because I'm having the exact same problem and I have very high internet speed. I'm about to call comcast and have a technitian come in a few hours to take a look at it all. I'll let you know what he says and if it can be of help! :) 

Alex-

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.