Help need to find OBJ to TGA converter or 3Ds to TGA converter to make sculpt map

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i cant seem to find a converter , i have a sculpt i  made in blender and  i need to turn the file in a tga so i can  make it into a sculpt map in SL , but blender doesnt allow me to save  in that format (tga).. so i'm geussing i need to find a converter of some sort..does anyone know any free converters?

i tried googling but the only ones that came up you had to pay for and reviews were bad.

sorry i'm new to sculpting.

also  SL  doesnt detect obj file ,and i tried uploading using dea or is it dae or whatever  but everytime i tried uploading to SL   it kept crashing my game..the mesh uploader i mean.

Hi Luxz

I dont think you will have much success trying to convert .obj etc into sculpties as the 3D model has to be "unwrapped" into a 2D UV Map...the easiest way i have found is to install Domino marama's scripts into blender (2.49*)and this sets up the basic shapes pre-made for uv mapping.

These are good places to start:-

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/video-tutorials/sculpties-basic-tutorials/modelling-sculpties/

http://robynhuffaker.com/sculptblender/

have fun!!!

To expound a little on what Romsey said, you cannot turn just any old arbitrary mesh into a sculpty.  To be sculpty-compatible, it has to made in a very specific way. 

The best way to think of sculpties is like origami.  Every sculpty is ultimately unfoldable into a perfect rectangle, just as every origami model is unfoldable into a rectangular piece of paper.  No matter how it's been bent, folded, twisted, or stretched in 3D space to take on the appearance of a three-dimensional object, its two-dimensional topology is still just a plain old rectangle.

Further, to be a sculpty, a model has to have an entirely uniform UV layout, a prefect grid, occupying the entirity of a single UV tile.  It can't have any unused canvas space at all, and the grid lines must be evenly spaced, no exceptions.

Sculpties are extremely limited.

For more information, check out the sculpty wiki, at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims

For arbitrary meshes, use theCOLLADA format (.dae). With this option, you don't need to worry about all the constraints of sculpties.   You can model any way you want., with complete freedom over your topology and UV layout.

You mentioned your viewer crashes on upload.  That's unfortunate.  I hope you've been sending in crash reports.

What are your system specs, and what drivers are you using?  Maybe we can try to poinpoint the problem.

Forgive me if I misinterpreted your question. While the answers given are quite informative, it seems to me all you are trying to do is save a blend to tga.

This is easily accomplished using the JASS/Domino scripts that are packeged with Blender - do visit Machinamatrix for the info on how to add either that bit to your existing Blender or info on how to download the prepackaged Blender available in SL.

Good  luck!

Your trying to do sculpts the old fashioned way. There should be some leftover tutorials on the web somewhere explaining how to do this.  Best bet, though, is to get the Jass or Primstar addons to Blender which will greatly assist you.   I passed you a blender notecard inworld that should help you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.