Low Power PC

Mykyl Nordwind

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

Has anyone had any recent experience running SL on an Aom Processor with an Ion video chipset and running under Ubuntu?

I am moving to the woods in a couple of months and will have very limited power available in the form of solar cells - about 45 watts coming in when the sun is shining. I'd like to be able to go into SL a couple of times a week for an hour or so, and I'll have a 4G connection, but will SL run on this platform at lower resolution settings? Most laptops are FAR too power hungry.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I haven't used an Atom-based system to access SL, but in all honesty I wouldn't recommend it. I have a 1st-generation Atom-based PC that I use as a server / radio station and I can attest that its' graphics capabilities are *limited* to say the least. System spec: Atom 230, i945 chipset, Intel 945 integrated graphics, 100gB SATA HDD, 2gB PC2-5300 RAM.

I suppose you could turn the SL clients' graphics settings all the way down. It would look horrible and you'd get a very low frame rate but you'd be able to communicate with your friends in SL though I wouldn't count on being able to move around much.

The sad truth is that in order to access SL you'll need a computer / laptop / widget that has fairly powerful graphics capabilities. In my experience as an amateur computer builder I've found that even a fairly low-end computer with a powerful graphics card is all that's really required. However the older generation CPU's are awful power hogs.

You might try asking some of the regulars at Luskwood as regards your Atom CPU / Ion chipset combo. There's a fairly techy-geeky crowd there who dabble around with all manner of computer hardware.

I have two experiences with Atom based PCs and Second Life. They may be considered good or bad according to the level of expectations

I have run SL on an Atom based netbook with Intel integrated graphics at the lower settings with a "light-enough" viewer (the old snowglobe). At low settings it does work and it is possible to move the avatar smoothly. Of course the visual quality is sub-optimal. I used SL with Win XP and never with Ubuntu, but the experience with other applications is that the netbook feels much more responsive away from Windows.

I have also run SL on a nettop with an Atom/ION chipset. I used both Vista and Win7. The SL experience may be a pain at medium settings , but it is possible to use it (I even went sailing). Visually is much more appealing provided one gives enough time to the textures to upload. Again, I am sure Ubuntu would allow more processing power to be available to the Application.

A caveat is that in both cases I have used V1 viewers. Not sure how much more a V2/3 viewer would take.

Apparently, a number of people are experiencing issues with ubuntu 11.04 (both 32 and 64 bit).

It either doesnt load, or if it does load, there are issues when running SL..

Up to, and including version 10.10 , both 32 bit and 64 bit ubuntu seems to run perfectly on SL, as long as you have a suitable video card with updated drivers.

Lynda Klossovsky wrote:

Apparently, a number of people are experiencing issues with ubuntu 11.04 (both 32 and 64 bit...

Funny you should mention that. I attempted to install the current version of Ubuntu (32-bit) on a spare computer. Everything was plain sailing until it came to load the desktop then the screen went black. No amount of monkeying arount would fix it. The same happened with SuSe 11.4. I could only get it to boot to their safe mode [i forget what they call it].

The computer in question: Asus P5VDC-X mobo [Via PT880 chipset], Intel 3.0 gHz P4-HT, 2 gB PC2-5300 RAM, Nvidia 9500GT grafix. Blargh.

The Atom 510 is a dual core CPU, a little bit more power hungry, but it seems from these responses that I should be able to get it to work. I don't expect great performance, but to be able to join my friends once a week and sometimes work in my shop would be fine. I started out in SL on dial up - this should be cake :)

There are some lighter versions of Ubuntu too that might bring better performance.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.