Total Failure...Can't move, can't Rez...Land says it's for sale

Darkington Slade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've tried to log in to SL...only to find that my Avi stays as a cloud...when it does let me rez...I can't move...doors and pretty much everything isn't rezzed properly. I can't teleport...and I can't change my clothes. I'm using the SL Viewer 3.0.0 and nothing is working at all. I'm using my Nvidia GE Force 9500GT Graphics Card? I know the type of Graphics Card is important but would it mess with everything like this even movement?

1 answer to this question

The GE Force 9500GT is a good card.  It will handle SL quite well. It sounds like you have a connection problem, possibly made more complicated by some borked information in user settings files on your hard drive.  Try this .....

(1) Try shutting off your computer, unplugging the router and modem for a couple of minutes, and then plugging them back in and restarting. That simple step may clear up everything by letting your router get a fresh grasp on an IP address.

(2) If not, try clearing your cache manually. With Second Life closed, go to the appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder.

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\cache
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\browser_profile\Cache AND
Windows 7 - C:\Users\\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ (Viewer version 1.23.5 (136262))
Mac - /Users//Library/Caches/SecondLife
Linux - ~/.secondlife/cache

(3) You may want to try changing the DNS settings tht your system has been using, instead of letting them default to whatever your ISP i offering you. See http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/ for some very clear instructions about how to do it.  I'd recommend using the free Google public DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of the ones mentioned in that article.

(4) If things are STILL messed up, contact your ISP. Maybe they are working on their Internet connections. Mine go down for about 20 minutes once a month or so while they are vacuuming dust out of their servers, or whatever they do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.