Streaming cost - Sculpty vs Mesh!

London Verne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sculpty shoe:

42 Objects
37.000 KTris
54.6 Streaming cost

Mesh shoe:

4 Objects
19.000 KTris
32.9 Streaming cost

Sculpty shoes rezzing immediately but mesh shoes needs even ~20 sec. to rezz complete.

How it's possible that mesh shoes needs so much more time to rezz complete when mesh shoes need half as much streaming cost?

London

Because mesh geometry files can be smaller in size than lossless 128 x 128 pixels large sculpt maps. Besides, sculpted shoes usually consist of several sculpties, each of which is individually textured, whereas a mesh shoe can be made of a single mesh with a single texture.

However, sculpties do have some advantages. I have groups of 8-12 palm trees in my sim, and each group only consists of two (!!!) prims. Sure, they take a while to rez, but if the same group of large palm trees was created as a mesh object, the prim count might be in the hundreds.

I'm not sure if it's my lack of coffee yet this morning or my lacking of understanding much about the technical aspect of mesh...but your reply seems based on the opposite of what I believe the OP had stated???  I thought the OP was stating that mesh is taking longer to rez...not sculpty.  I'll reread the OP but I've already done that a few times.

/me rubs her eyes, swigs her coffee and goes back to read again.

"the opposite of what I believe the OP had stated"

My thought exactly. My guess is that the sculpt maps were in the cache while the meshes were not. I have never seen an uncached scuplty rez anything remotely describable as "immediately", let alone 42 of them. However, the thought of 19,000 triangle shoes is scrambling my brain almost as deeply as that of 42-sculpty shoes, so I am not sure what to say.

Now i'm completely lost ... I have reduced mesh to half in the hopes to rezz at least twice faster but  it has no effect to rezz time. It takes just as long as before. Can anyone explain this mystery?

Mesh before:

19.000 Ktris

602 KB

32.9 Streaming cost

Mesh after:

4.856 KTris

320 KB

22.9 Streaming cost

London

I took my mesh car (37 mesh pieces/ 17kTris) and my sculpty Snowcat (28 sculpts, 4 box prims) as a coalesced object into inventory. Cleared cache, relogged. Went to a sky platform with nothing else to rezz around. Rezzed the 2 vehicles and the mesh car was way faster fully loaded than the sculpt vehicle.

Tini Jewell wrote:

I'm not sure if it's my lack of coffee yet this morning or my lacking of understanding much about the technical aspect of mesh...but your reply seems based on the opposite of what I believe the OP had stated???  I thought the OP was stating that mesh is taking longer to rez...not sculpty.  I'll reread the OP but I've already done that a few times.

/me rubs her eyes, swigs her coffee and goes back to read again.

You're right of course. I was only looking at the lower streaming cost of mesh. That was my lack of coffee, not yours :) And lack of sleep after having been awake for 23 hours.

arton Rotaru wrote:

I took my mesh car (37 mesh pieces/ 17kTris) and my sculpty Snowcat (28 sculpts, 4 box prims) as a coalesced object into inventory. Cleared cache, relogged. Went to a sky platform with nothing else to rezz around. Rezzed the 2 vehicles and the mesh car was way faster fully loaded than the sculpt vehicle.

This is no difference to me. I mean if you teleport between sims you will see rezz discrepancy between mesh and sculpty.

London

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.