graphics driver crashes as soon as i hit downloading clothing am on viewer 2 beta

crimson Cybertar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

basicly just got this computer a week ago and i constantly get my drivers crashing as soon as it hits downloading clothing can anyone help?  specs are down below but yeah thats the only time my sl crashes i know its hard to believe it hasnt crashed my driver at any other time so yeah if anyone can help even give me a work around i will gladly try it

EDIT downloading the lower end i cant do since this is a built in so downgrading would be alot of work if not bug the laptop

Second Life 3.0.0 (238864) Aug 18 2011 13:05:38 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 140,156.0, 355,986.0, 23.1 in Atlan Tu Sura located at sim20977.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.30.11:13006)
Second Life Server 11.08.26.239591
Release Notes

CPU:       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (1993.54 MHz)
Memory: 8174 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6764
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 141/78,693 (0.2%)

2 answers to this question

I see two potential sources for your problem.  The first being you are using a Beta viewer.  Betas are programs that are works in progress and often have problems.  The developers release the programs to people willing to test and find problems who then report those problems back to the developers so those problems can be fixed or resolved........since you are using a Beta viewer, you should expect some issues.  You should report those problems to the developers (that's what they want you to do if you choose to use the program).  You can find both the newest viewer (Viewer 3) and the next newest (Viewer 2.8) here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers

The other potential source is that you are not using nVidia's most recent driver for your GTX 460 card.  That driver is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

One word about some of the recent drivers from nVidia.  There has been reports of some of the drivers having OpenGL issues (probably related to the newer OpenGL 4.xx engine).  I know my driver (which is about a year old) works well (258.96) but I'm not interested in shadows and have never tried to enable them...........it may not be the driver for you if you want those new features.  I believe the OpenGL issue with nVidia cards started somewhere after the driver version 260.xx and you're using 267.64.  That may be one of the drivers that fall into that issue with OpenGL.  Recently the number of driver issues with nVidia cards has slowed down a great deal............so maybe the latest driver (the one I linked) addressed the problem with the cards.  If you continue to have probblems after updating your driver, then drop back to a driver 260.xx or earlier (you can try mine........it's the same driver for my card as it is for yours).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.