Not loading groups or friends

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, heres the run down, this morning, i tried to sign into SL, and got the usual offline messages part, or at least part of them, and added myself to a group i was invited to. Well i went over to change my title in the group (im on pheonix atm) and no friends pop up and the only group in in is the none button you use to opt out of showing a title. Now i have switched over to Firestorm and might migrate to 3.1 or whatever latest release of beta veiwer there is aqnd see if that fixes it, which i doubt, so heres where you geniouses coem in. Last time i had a problem it was resoled in one post, can you do it again and help me?

2 answers to this question

Try two things.  First, add the Google public DNS to your network configuration:

"System preferences" -> "Network" -> "Advanced..." -> "DNS" -> "+" and type 8.8.8.8
"System preferences" -> "Network" -> "Advanced..." -> "DNS" -> "+" and type 8.8.4.4

ETA: In case it's not obvious how to do this, see http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/

And then add any helpful comments and observations to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-26759 to help LL's techies figure out how to fix this bug.

I use windows 7 and I've found the only thing that fixes this issue across all viewers is:

Open your router IP address in a web brower:

Search for DNS Address:
000.00.000.00 (will be actual numbers)

Next go to your: Nework Sharing Center:
Click on: Local Area Connection
Double click: Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Click Use following DNS server addresses:
Then next to: Preferred DNS server: enter the DNS Address from your router

Good luck, its a nightmare of an issue that!

Tia :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.