object physics problem - My dice used to roll fine - now they just slide... dunno why... help pls?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I made a dice table a long while ago which worked perfectly - the dice behaved as they should, rolling when you push them. Now I've looked again after a few months, they just slide across the table without rolling. I've tried resizing them, but no joy. They are just a basic cube prim. Any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Swith ;)

3 answers to this question

Check with your Build tool to see whether they are still physical, and check to be sure that the script hasn't been set to Not Running. I suspect that both are OK, but it doesn't hurt to check.  There have been several changes to server code this year, in anticipation of mesh, so my guess is that some of them have had an effect on the way some physical objects behave.  I have just been testing a couple of my own small objects and the Linden dice that are in the Library >> Objects folder in inventory, however, and they work fine. I can't find anything in the JIRA, either.  All I can suggest is that you try using your dice on a different sim.  Maybe it's just a glitch in your own sim's server.

Thanks for responding Rolig - I fear you're right about some changes to server code messing things up for physics - have tried the die on some other sims and it's still sliding and not rolling... gah. I have a sculpted die that rolls alright, but I never liked that as it lands on its edges! Guess that's an item I'll have to take off the marketplace if it isn't functioning properly any more.

I know it's not as satisfying, but can you get your dice to behave properly by lifting the script from the Linden dice? It's a full-perm script, so you'd have no trouble customizing it to your own application. If the basic physics works for you, as it does when I try it, it could solve your problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.