Getting wheels to turn in SL

Jacki Silverfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a mesh carriage and I was wondering what the process is to get the wheels to turn when in SL. Also, I need the harness part to go left to right and so on. Should I parent/child the wheels? The axel to the wheels? Do I need a script? Or rigging?

I don't want this carriage to just be dragged around.

/me waits eagerly for my new Blender book to arrive :)

Thanks!

Anything that should move independant of the vehicle, wheels, doors etc should be a separate object and linked inworld. That's me saying something I havn't got to yet, if ever. I think you can still import the separated objects together as one collada export. Parenting, I don't know if it makes any difference in export.

I also think the doors should be made so the bounding box centre is on the hinge, by using an extra triangle.

Wheels can also be faked with a rotating texture but that is not what we usually want.

Take a look at llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast and the relatively new parameter PRIM_OMEGA.  Using that, you can make each of your wheels spin with a single command in one script in your vehicle's root prim. That's only going to work, of course, if the wheels are separate prims linked to the rest of your structure.  You could always rotate the wheels server-side with llSetRot instead, but that's (a) a truly clunky-looking movement instead of the smooth one you get with PRIM_OMEGA and (b) a royal pain to script properly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.