When I rez, my hair won't rez properly. It is angular with bald patches. Used to be fine. Any Ideas?

Lysette Halberstadt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there - my hair used to be fine. Really nice, actually. Now it won't rez properly, but it seems the rest of me is fine. All my hair dos are the same; they rez all angular with sharp bends, and bald patches. Also, sunglasses seem pretty bad too, so it seems confined to the head area. Any ideas? Very many thanks! P.S. I'm on a mac, if that makes any difference.

3 answers to this question

Being on a Mac makes a difference. :matte-motes-grin: So, is good to say.

Which viewer you are using makes and even bigger difference. Try Help->About to get the specific version. For any technical question paste all the information in About with your question.

It sounds like the hair is made from sculpties. If so, there are a couple of possibilities. RenderVolumeLODFactor can be used to test if it is an LoD (Level of Detail) problem. Depending on you graphics card the default value is 1.125. try changing that to 4. This makes a bit of a difference in render speed and overall performance. On good graphics cards it is bearly noticable. On older machines it can be significant, but not major. If that corrects the problem, ask how others see your hair. If your hair is good for them, problem solved. RenderVolumeLODFactor only affects what you see.

You may have a corrupted cache. If you are using an older viewer or Third Party Viewer (TPV), that could be the problem. The sculpty map texture is not decompressing correctly. That can be caused by messed up file in the cache or the JPEG2000 version your viewer is using. The version is in the About Info. Me->Preferences->[Setup older V2 and Advanced newer V2]->Clear Cache then restart the viewer.

Also, there has been some problems about download and rez speed lately. The sculpty texture may not be downloading. Press Ctrl-Shift-3 (a toggle) to see if a texture is hung. You can see textures downloading and scrolling up the list. If items are setting at the top of the list, they are hung.

You can try turning off HTTP Texture Get to change how textures are down loading. I think the new HTTP Get is overloading. The Lindens are working on the bottle necks. But recently texture download and rezzing seems to have slown down. To turn off HTTP Get open the viewer's Advanced menu, Ctrl-Alt-D, then open Debug Settings and start typing ImagePipelineUseHTTP. Set to false and see if it helps. This sets you to using the older UDP delivery process. Eventually you will want to change back to HTTP for better performance. But, it may help while LL works on improving HTTP Get.

Let us know if this helps.

To get to the LoD setting change open the viewer and press Ctrl-Alt-D to add the ADVANCED item to the top menu. This only works in the viewer's Advanced Mode.

In the Advanced menu is the item Debug Settings. When the Debug Settings dialog open start typing RenderVolumeLODFactor it will autocomplete. Try changing it to 3 or 4.

If that change makes no difference, dang. Since you have cleared the cache, something else is wrong.

So, post a picture. At this point it is hard to tell if this is a bug in the system, a problem with your viewer, or something you may have done.

A step you might take is a clean install. The long story on clean installs is: Second Life Clean Install Remember. Uninstalling an SLViewer removes all the chat logs. If you want to keep those, you will have to move those files before you run the uninstall.

---Update

You may want to try a newer viewer for your Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin. LL has made a number of fixes that only appear in 3.0.2 version and up. The current Beta is 3.0.3. Today's Dev Viewer is at 3-0-5-239964. Dev Viewers tend to be slow and it is hard to know if you are going to get more fixes or more new bugs. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.