llWind magnitude limits

DragonWhisperer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know llWind returns a vector from which llVecMag, or your own math, can be used to determine the wind's strength, but what range of magnitudes will SL generate?

I'm working on something that will react based on wind magnitude and need to know what the average SL wind speed is and to what extreme magnitude values my code should consider.

Adding this info to the LSL functionh description page would be nice too.

I did a lot of experiments on wind years ago, and as far as I know it still uses the same Jos Stam's Navier-Stokes equations. Over the course of several months the fastest wind I ever recorded, while polling every 15 minutes or so in multiple locations, was 31.800045 MPS, the slowest was 0.000440 MPS. I believe their is some pseudo-math to cap the maximum value for wind at 32 MPS to keep the wind from becoming unstable, this is based solely on interactions with Andrew Linden where he said that he was not "100% sure."

• Like 1

I think most of the weather info on the wiki page is already authored by me, and I doubt anyone would be interested in raw data. The numbers appear random, but actually use the equations I mentioned before, just on a much larger scale. And I have not put the minimum and maximum just because it has not been "100%" verified yet. If someone can get Andrew to confirm that it is capped at 32, that would be great. Right now I am only 99.9% sure it is.

As for the average, it really was fairly random, but usually it would hit large "patches" in the 8MPS range for a while, and in the 15MPS range for a while, but this may have been due to pseudo random number generation rather than any sort of pattern.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.