Help Required With Car Scripting

Mishi Rossini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've built myself a car to drive around a friend's race track and I'm developing a free script to make it drive how I want it to. Beyond absolute basics like the syntax of a script, I'm a complete noob here. My work on the script is mostly limited to changing numbers to get the desired effect.

It's all going very well, but I'm stuck with one issue I can't figure out. The car's turning speed lowers as the car's speed does. This is desirable to a degree but in my case it's far too extreme. At low speeds the car barely turns at all, which isn't very racey! I'm happy with the steering at higher speeds, but of course the overall steering values can be adjusted once this problem is fixed.

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers here! I -do- want the car to turn less at low speeds than it does at high speeds, but I want the effect to be significantly less extreme than it currently is. You'd make me a very happy resident!

You will need to find the control event area. Within those braces ( {} )you will see, most likely, if(CONTROL_ROT_LEFT & blah blah blah. This is possibly where you turning math is at. It basically used a rotating motor and then you put math in it that detects speed...I mean, IF you are using that, which it sounds like you are. But my help stops here because I really don't know what math you have, and you don't seem to know or you might have been able to change it and experiment!

I am thinking you have the 'DT script', which...well, DT is for Drifting Thoughts and that company is Copyrighted by Kayla Stonecutter! You cn't change numbers and give it away as a freebie..you maybe shouldn't even have it and already you are working from copyrighted material! Scripts are like books, you can't just change a few words lol.

But, if you really don't know where it is from and there is no indication....well, I am thinking it might be best to grab one that is allowed...I think cory linden had one around that can be converted. But, as far as I can remember it didn't have math to adjust for speed....I couldbe wrong though. Maybe Aron's did...I never did find out if that one was legal, but it was posted on the forums a while ago by him...I think.

Look up the SL archives for scripts and then try out the Linden Vehicle Tutorial if you want to learn more.

Here is a link to the wiki article: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Vehicle_Tutorial

And, the LSL part of the wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

The script library, plus (up top) there are links to the archived ones!: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Library

Thanks for your help, guys.

I guess it's a case of learning a bit more with where to look for the relevant values etc. I'll read up on the wiki and try some trial and error, always a good way to learn, I find!

I looked and the script's original creator is someone I used to see quite a lot in SL. I realise it takes nothing to copy and paste to make a script look like your own, but I can ask and see. The car isn't for selling, but for handing to friends so we can race. All the same, I know what you're saying. If I can't be confident enough that the script should be in my hands, I'll find something else.

Thanks again for posting!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.