How to keep clothing textures with good quality

Stephilia1488304633

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

The latest article that I read from a clothing pro recommended making them at 1024 x 1024 and also uploading them in that size. They do transfer into 512 on the body, but she found that keeping them large on upload made a big difference in quality. So you might try that out. Sorry, but I forgot who wrote the article :D.

I am guessing that you already know about the old clothing templates out there as well as readymade garment templates that you can buy.  In case you don't here is a long time popular website: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html     The templates to purchase are easy to find on the Marketplace and might be a good way to get started.

Hope you enjoy your venture into clothing design. It was SO not "my" thing so I count on others to make beautiful things.

As a texture professional, I've always found it best to never let the SL Viewer do any texture resizing. Graphics apps like Photoshop are much better at cleanly resizing a clothing texture from the 1024 x 1024 or 2048 x 2048 size you create them at, to a 512 x 512 size for use. I keep the master images at large sizes on my computer, and resize a copy to 512 x 512 prior to uploading.

All avatar textures for the system elements (skin, hair, eyes, underpants undershirt, pants shirt, jacket, socks, gloves, and skirt) become 512 x 512 when the Viewer uses them. Any larger sizes are wasted on the process, and subject to becoming distorted by the viewer's less-capable resizing routines.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.