When i load SL it gets to"Loading VFS"then maxes out the cpu usage,what causes this and how do i fix

Leth762

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

@Darkie:  That page no longer goes anywhere. 

@Leth762:  The common problems are cache related.  The most uncommon problem, well, I'll get into that in a minute.  Take a look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_do_I_fully_uninstall_and_reinstall_Second_Life%3F and try deleting all the caches and folders in the computer having anything at all to do with SL, and Reinstall it.  (Assuming you are running the SL viewer -- other third party viewers may be in different folders.)  This fixes 95% of the problems.

However, there IS a small percentage of people who have USB devices which cause DINPUT8.DLL to crash while the VSF indicator is still on the screen.  If the wipe did not stop the problem, you may have a USB device plugged in which crashes the direct input portion of DirectX.  For example, the PICKIT3 programming device is known to me as a device that when plugged in, utterly prevents any SL viewer from loading or working.  There are certain to be others.  Unplug your USB devices one at a time until you can launch the viewer again, and you'll have found the fault.  (Note: this is a problem with DirectX and poorly written USB devices, not Linden lab fault.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.