when i start the second life veiwer it says initiation failed please update your graphics drivers

RATX5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Please advise details of your computer specification and graphic card, also what driver are you using with it. The System Requirements page is woefully inadequate in relation to graphics cards so little point in directing you there to check if your card is acceptable for running SL. To find out what your computer specs are:

Select Start Menu > Run. In the command box type dxdiag and press ok to open the DX window. Processor and memory details are on System tab. Click the Display tab and graphics card manufacturer and card series are on the top line under Device. 

Select Options > Edit to add comments to your post.

It might be worth, if you are able to do it, clicking on Debug-Show Debug Settings before trying to log in, setting NoHardwareProbe to TRUE, and then trying to log in (or you might need to restart the viewer before it takes effect).   That was always the fix for messages about unrecognised graphics cards when your graphics card was too new for for the viewer to recognise.

ETA -- To change the debug settings, start the viewer but don't try to log in.    If you don't have Debug as a menu option at the top left of the screen, hit ALT CTRL D to make it appear.   Then choose the first option, Debug Settings, and type in NoHardWareProbe.   Set that to TRUE, and then close the viewer and restart it (I'm not certain the restart is necessary but it can't hurt).   I'm not sure this will work, because I've never had this problem, but it's certainly how I've dealt with similar issues in the past.

debug  1.jpgdebug 2.jpg

I am not sure a log is created without a successful opening of the viewer by a new resident for the first time and even if one is, do you think having to explain how to reveal and access the Second Life folder in AppData to access the log is easier than the method I suggested? The CPU details are easy enough to find in the log but you have to scroll down dozens of lines to find the GPU details buried in the text and can easily overlook them.

If the OP is using Windows 7, then Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information will open some windows giving the necessary information, I think.

Details of the OS Name and Processor will be on the System Summary tab and details of the graphics card name and type will be in the Components-Display window. These can be copied simply by left-clicking the relevant entry and doing CTRL C (the right mouse click context menu doesn't seem to work there).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.