Is it even possible to build V2 from source on a ppc mac?

Eric Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a dual 2.7ghz G5 with 4 gig and an ATI Radeon 9650 - this machine is definitely powerful enough to run second life. I'd like to build a V2 based viewer from source for it, if that's even possible. 

I'd like anyone interested to post in this thread. Let's see if we can get a build done. If possible.

It might be,  but it would be a pain..  I think the big issue would be all the libraries.  You would have to build them all from scratch for your hardware.  I think the V2 viewer people call this a "STANDALONE" build.  

Go to hg.secondlife.com and download the sources.  Read through all the config files and change references to Intel to PPV, etc.  Build.  Identify all the library misses that you see in the link phase.  Get those libraries.  Figure out how to build them.

Last but not least, there are a couple of email groups that discuss these things in detail.  YOu can find out about them on the Wiki.  That is where to ask this question.  Somebody might already be doing it.

ponzu

It ought to be possiible. I did it with earlier 2.x versions but it got to be too much work to keep up. The price of a cheapo PC that could run SL as well as a G5 got to be less than the time cost.

The LL code has become a bit x86-specific so you will need to expect some porting work, more than recompiling a pile of libraries. It will be a lot less work if you make Leopard the baseline, then there will be fewer battles with changed and missing built ins. OTOH, a PPC port that doesn't run on Tiger will still exclude an awful of of PPC Macs.

• 3 months later...

Yes! Please build this.

I'm running a second gen G5 iMac. Especially for us G5 users.

G5's are nice architecture

We have plenty of ram, plenty of processor speed, and our video cards are fine.

SL should run find especially on the higher end G5 machines for a couple more years at least.

Please code this, i beg you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.