I cannot sign in to SL

fun4ussoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Sorry I can't help you as I'm afraid that just as of a few minutes ago I am having the same problem. I was inworld on and off during the day and then crashed just now. Now I can't get back in due to the logging in session freezing at "Initialising VFS". Any help or ideas gratefully accepted.

Help.

Please.

(Moaning softly in sadness from loss of SL)

PS:  Tried unplugging and replugging my router but to no avail.

There are several possibilities, and it's hard to tell which one is the right one.  In some cases, you get that error if you have corrupted drivers in your router or, simply, if your driver needs to be rebooted (unplug it for a minute or two, plug it back in, the reboot). Check the Internet to be sure that you have up-to-date drivers and consider downloading and re-installing whatever is there now.

You could also have corrupted user settings files, in which case the solution is to find and remove them and then relog to force your viewer to create new ones.  (See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings)  If you do that, I would also delete your cache files.

If neither of those appoaches works, the viewer itself may be borked, in which case I suggest removing it entirely from your system  and then downloading and installing a fresh viewer.

Well, I deleted everything in cache, etc, and eventually deleted the viewer, Firestorm, which I have been using very happily up until now.  I then downloaded a new copy but have run up against the same problem.  I still can't log in from "Initialising AFS".

I guess I'll have to try a different viewer and see if that works.

Thanks for all help so far.

Just to bring things up to date.

I ended up deleting everything I could find relating to Firestorm and downloaded an older version of Phoenix and was able to log back in. That was last night.

Today I deleted Phoenix and downloaded Firestorm again.

Success!

But then I found that I was by no means alone as many others had also suffered the same fault or else had crashed at about the same time. It also didn't seem to matter which viewer was being used as most, if not all, available viewers had been in use by those affected. I guess it was just one of those things that sometimes happen in SL.

This emphasizes again the reason for doing a Clean Install. The Firestorm team is very clear about that. If you are going to update Firestorm, always delete it completely from your computer before installing a new version. Do not install a new one on top of an old one, or expect a new one to like the user_settings file that you made for the old one. That's true for LL's V2 and most other viewers as well. It's best to start with a clean slate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.