Rendering video - question about settings

Loren Twine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First let me say a little about my knowledge level when it comes to video:

Yeah that was pretty much it.  :matte-motes-bashful:

So to the question:

I'm trying to figure out how to get the best quality for uploading to youtube - with what I have. Not looking to make any fancy videos, but if I do play around with it, I want a decent quality on it. I use fraps for recording and Vegas 7 for editing and rendering. (The raw file from fraps looks awesome of course. :p )

So, I have figured out that the best file format is probably wmv, but  I'm sure there are other settings I need to pay attention to under template, I just have no idea what they should be for the best result.  The finished quality when uploaded makes me wanna bang my head on my desk. (Mainly talking about when there is movement, like walking around etc.)

For reference I'm adding two test videos, the first was rendered in mpg2, the second in wmv.

My graphics card is MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB. 

When you start a project on Vegas 7, you have to tweak the settings to get HD quality on Youtube.You can set your project to 720p or 1080p in Vegas 7 - both will do HD on Youtube.

Mind that after completing your project you also have to tweak the settings for rendering the film.

Thanks for the reply, although you lost me at "h264"... xD    Ok so I googled, and apparently the V7 equivalent  of that was to be "MainConcept AVC/AAC" (?)  I tested that and the quality was horrid. :matte-motes-not-entertained:   I either got that completely wrong, or maybe I'm missing a plugin of sort?

If I do stick with wmv for now, what should seconds per key frame be? I keep wondering if there are some simple settings I forget paying attantion to that might improve the quality...  

These are my settings for Sony Vegas Pro 9:

Audio Tab:

Mode: CBR
Format: Windows Media Audio 9.2
Attritutes: 192 kbps, 48hz, stereo A/V CBR

Video:

Mode: CBR
Format: Windows Media Video 9
Image Size: High Definition: 1280 x 720  (I am capturing at this size as well)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.00 (square)
Frame Rate: 29.970 NTSC
Seconds per keyframe: 3
check Override default compression buffer (seconds): 3
Video smoothness: 100

Bit Rate

check Internet/LAN 3 M

Index Summary: Its good to put in a special name for the Template, and a summary, as you may be testing various settings and will need to go back to what works best for you.

--

Biggest changes I have seen in the audio and video modes using the many options, are rendered file size and time to render and upload. I only make my videos HD enough for the "HD" label to show up in Youtube, I don't believe my audience actually wants to watch my videos in HD. Your audience may differ!

uck youtube! use blip.tvThere is no upload size limit and your can upload to any format then the site converts it to .m4v.

This runs as is in Second life now. So you can easily show your films in SL and on the net, they also give you a RSS feed that can be subscribed too through itunes.

Blip.tv blows youtube out of the water. check it out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.