Nice free mesh app - MeshMixer

Maxwell Graf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you are new to mesh, don't have a polygon modeling app or are confused by trying to learn the intricacies of something like blender/3DS/Maya, MeshMixer is an excellent FREE app to get you started and familiarize yourself with what's involved. If you already know mesh, this is a great tool to have in your toolbox. Does a variety of functions very quickly and it works fast, primarily as a voxel sculpting tool.

It imports obj, exports obj and collada dae. It will generate the UV maps for items created within it, not sure about imported items. You can also save items in the drawer on the side of the UI, to use again.

Added this to the wiki list of mesh programs.

MeshMixer

• Like 2

I just discovered  MakeHuman while watching a Blender  tutorial on YouTube. Everyone else probably knows about this one... I never even knew it existed! I really haven't been involved in character creation until recently but this is open source and looks really nice. Blender has a nice Importer/Exporter for the MakeHUman .mhx files in 2.58 although it needs to be enabled in the Preferences/Addons section (not on by default).   

:-)

Zena Juran wrote:

I just discovered  
 while watching a Blender  tutorial on
. Everyone else probably knows about this one... I never even knew it existed! I really haven't been involved in character creation until recently but this is open source and looks really nice. Blender has a nice Importer/Exporter for the MakeHUman .mhx files in 2.58 although it needs to be enabled in the Preferences/Addons section (not on by default).   

:-)

I don't think you can use any of the MH models in SL. Be careful. Read the licence!

OH noes, IP again.

We talked to the MakeHuman developers about 6 months ago. And they ensured that it is no problem to use MakeHuman models in SecondLife. Also it is no problem to sell content made with MakeHuman.

Because the license is a bit complicated to understand, we prepared the "The essentials of the MakeHuman license for content creators" This is an annotation to the MH license and it can be found at the bottom of the official license page at

http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/licensing

Here is a citation of the relevant part and it should be very clear that MakeHuman is friendly to commercial creators:

The essentials of the MakeHuman license for content creators.

The text below describes a way to setup a commercial usage scenario for Artwork created with MakeHuman or based on MakeHuman assets.
The text shall help you to understand without doubts the implications of the MakeHuman license. So here is what you as content creator can/should do and what you will need to tell your customers what they can do with the purchased content. Feel free to reuse parts or the whole text for your particular usage scenario:

The content creator

• can use content made with and exported from MakeHuman as a base for further processing with other tools (e.g. with blender).
  • can freely sell content based on MakeHuman for any price and as often as he/she wants.
  • is free (but not obliged) to publish the sources of his/her creations. (the export files generated by MakeHuman, .obj, etc...)
  • is obliged to include a copy of the MakeHuman License with the export files generated by MakeHuman.
  • is obliged to state "this content is based on the MakeHuman mesh" at a clearly visible place to address the MakeHuman copyright.
  • is free to add his/her own copyright to the creation regarding all changes from the makeHuman base mesh which can not be done within MakeHuman.
  • is free to restrict the usage of his/her content regarding reproduction and reselling of the content that was purchased from him/her.
  • may not use the exports to create commercial software mimicking MakeHuman’s features.

Purchased content may not be reproduced/further processed/resold without prior permission from the content creator.
Purchasers of any content based on MakeHuman are still allowed to use MakeHuman itself to create/sell their own content.
Purchased content may not be used to create commercial software mimicking makehuman’s features.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.