Keep being disconnected by SL

amelia Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just had my internet system checked, everything working fine, apart from that SL keeps logging me out.  I thought it might have been a viewer issue so I deleted Phoenix and installed Imprudence, but not difference.

I get online, for about five minutes, and then get a click and a notice saying You are being signed out of SL, region maybe having probs etc.  I've been trying to get on to SL most of the evening and wonder if others are having this problem maybe the SL servers are having probs, or is it just me.

Many thanks

I would try to reboot your router and modem.  This will change your IP address and will give you a new route and in most cases, this will fix TCP/UDP routintg issues which would cause a connection loss to their servers.

More often than not, this is being caused from the Peering off your Internet Service Provider.

You had your Internet checked.........how?  Did you call your ISP and have them ping your modem?  That would check your connection to your ISP's servers (between your modem and the ISP).  It does nothing to tell you (or your ISP) about what happens once the connection is relayed onto the Internet.  It also tells you or them a thing about any home network you have before your modem..........router and the computers connected to the router.  It's a good check but it only checks a very minute part of your connection............at least you know your connection to the ISP to good.

A very easy next step is to reset your modem (yeah, I know they pinged it........but that only pings to the output side of the modem).  And, if you have a router in your network (which I think maybe you do) definitely reset it.  It's easy and painless.  Unplug the devices from their electrical source for 3 to 5 minutes, plug them back in and let the lights settle to their normal blinking routine then check SL again.  You may have to retart your computer to re-establish your connection to the router/modem.  If that fixes it, great.  If not then you can test the connection to an area close to the LL servers........that will tell you if there are problems between your ISP and the area you are trying to maintain a connection to.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Run a couple tests each to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX.  You need at least about 500 kbps (that's very minimal......1000 kbps or more is better).  While at that site you can run a "Ping" test to both locations too.  The ping times are probably out of anyone's control if it's due to distance (which I believe by your initial post you are in Europe).  Anything over about 300 or 400 ms is going to be difficult (probably occassional disconnects, but not chronic).   What's more important is "Packet Loss"............you don't want to see anything more than 3%.  Like I said, there is probably not much you can do to improve those numbers but they will tell you a few things........mainly that it's probably the time of day you are trying to access SL and maybe trying at a different time will help (California time is minus 8 hours from GMT).

That getting another IP address used to hold true for most ISP's.........not anymore though.  I turn off my router and modem every evening when I shut off my computer and I've had the same IP for almost a month.  I have noticed that my IP does change about once a month, so I probably get a new one in a week or so.  The reseting of the router and modem dumps the memory just like rebooting your computer and that is what helps if you keep losing your connection.....the IP has nothing to do with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.