Have lost the new shadow feature in new update

Soar Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did clean install and when I did preferences and logged on I had a black view when using the ultra graphics as always and with the hardware skinning enabled, I found I have to disable the hardware skinning to see anything at all.  This all worked fine in the old viewer and my graphics card is very up to date. Is there anyone else had this issue please.

Yep, I have the exact same problem, I had to turn off Lighting & Shadows just to be able to see again, but I haven't turned off hardware skinning as that would just ultimately make SecondLife look like a pile of crap, to my eyes, I don't think it's an issue with anyone's graphic drivers and if they are up-to-date or not, I think that it's just something that has gone wrong on Linden Lab's side while they were releasing the updated viewer.

I do hope that it gets fixed ASAP, though, as it really is bothersome without shadows, besides, they're going to have to get around to doing something about it anyway, as there's going to be a lot of complaining going on for those that have their hardware set to take photos for blogs or those that record machinima's and require 100% in the look of all things.

But on that note, just to make sure, what graphics card are you using? Same goes for other people, so we can determine whether or not it is an issue on their side or our side, because if it's multiple brands of graphics cards, then it's not something on our end, and there's nothing we can do about it, really, except wait or use a third-party viewer such as Phoenix or Firestorm.

(Current Graphics Hardware: ATI  Radeon HD4800 Graphics)

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU       M 540  @ 2.53GHz (2527.07 MHz)
Memory: 3957 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series

I changed mine to just unticking the  shadows, this morning was quite a panic realising it was black, odd thing is you can see the chat etc, but its as if you are in pitch black. I wonder if there are more of this and if we need to create a Jira

Well, we both seem to be using Radeon HD Graphics, however I'm using an AMD Processor, but I do believe this may be a Jira case, if ATI hasn't provided any updates for either of us, then it is possibly the update leaving us out, as I've seen this happen in the past with another client, similar to SecondLife, where they made an update and only included NVIDIA GeForce graphics to be listed under the supported hardware, leaving out ATI Graphics, but they fixed it after realising it, I just hope it's the same as here.

EDIT: Shot in the dark, but have you recently reformatted or reset your computer to factory defaults? Just so I can narrow this whole thing down, as I had recently done so, and noticed just now that I don't have DirectX 11 installed, which I'm about to go do now, to see if this may be an issue.

CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2393.98 MHz)Memory: 3326 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA CorporationGraphics Card: GeForce GTS 250/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9621OpenGL Version: 3.2.0

I've lost shadows completely, though they were working very nicely before. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.