How to make blender act like Maya

Tapple Gao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can make blender 2.5 behave like Maya. I don't know how good the emulation is, having never used maya, but it changes the camera controls to all be on alt-click, at least. You can choose it either on the splash screen:

Screenshot-4.png

Or in File > User Preferences > Input:

Screenshot-3.png

I use blender mostly for sculpties cause of the awesome features that Primstar gives you for those, but as for using it for mesh, Maya is so much more intuitive that way (doesn't have the 3D cursor :D) and works seamlessly with Mudbox, another program I use a lot of. Any changes made in Maya or Mudbox is transferred to the other automatically via update which is a huge help when it comes to adding geometry if needed.

One feature I haven't found in Maya that Blender does have is lock view to cursor, that is one thing the 3D cursor is good for, and is very valuable in certain situations. That in itself is not enough for me to change my workflow though :D

Any translation type tool within Maya has the ability to set offset or rotational point, you just have to go into the properties of it. Esprit or Mastercam has no 3D cursor either, that is normal at least with what I am used to, Blender is majorly different in the way it handles functions, not that it doesn't do them it is just nothing like what I would call a traditional 3D application.

That can be done you would just make an object live :D just about anything done in Blender can be done in Maya, Alias, Rhino or Max it is just done differently. Most functions are called the same but some are different such as armature for Blender and rigging for just about any other program able to do character animation through kinematics.

I am sure you would have the same learning curve that I had taking on Blender just so I could get some of the functionality within Primstar. And no it wasn't fun :D but I understand blender much better now and use it for sculpties which now with all this PE seems like I will be doing more of than I thought once mesh is released on main grid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.