Okay, Avatar for SL Webpage, Badge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reading Suella's instructions on how to create an avatar/badge, and it says to download GIMP.  So my question is, is downloading GIMP the ONLY way to make an avatar/badge here?  I'm not interested in downloading Gimp as I have a lot of stuff on my hardrive already, not sure how much space needed for Gimp, and I'm not interested at this time to use Gimp. 

I have photoshop, can I use that to make an avatar.  And if so, what do I do now?  And/or why only GIMP, could someone explain?

Gimp and Photoshop are both photo/graphics-editing software, so, no...if you have Photoshop, there's no reason to download and install Gimp. That is, unless your skill level with Photoshop is too low to enable you to figure out how to translate the instructions.

Basically, you'll just need to first determine what is supposed to happen for each step, then figure out how that is done in Photoshop. Most of the differences are simply what the action is called and the name of the menu in which you find it.

[enjoy the glimpse of what life is like for Gimp users....in most cases, this problem is reversed....the instructions are for photoshop and we Gimpers have to do the translating :)]

If you already have Photoshop, you don't need GIMP. GIMP is merely a freeware alternative to Photoshop with very similar functions.

To make a badge, simply create an image that fits in the available space, click "My Settings" at the top of the forum website, go to the Social Connect tab, check "display profile badge", pick one of the four badges, and use the Browse button to upload your own background picture.

But can I import my own background instead of the default ones?  And if so, how do I import a background... do I put the background in my stored uploaded images area as long as it is the correct size as described in Suella's badge making post?

Mayalily wrote:

But can I import my own background instead of the default ones?  And if so, how do I import a background... do I put the background in my stored uploaded images area as long as it is the correct size as described in Suella's badge making post?

Yes, you can upload a new background or use a previously uploaded image with the "Browse" button in the badge settings.

You can use any image you want. It doesn't have to be the correct size. If it's larger, it will be cut off. If it's smaller, it is aligned in the upper left corner of your badge.

Okay, I'll look into this today. 

ETA:  After reading it again, it does say u can use Photoshop.  I was just glancing and saw the GREEN lettered words that said download Gimp.  So, it's an either or.  My bad.  I need to NOT just look at the GREEN highlighted parts. 

Yes, I just did a test pic and it sure did make it small like a thumbnail?  Anyhow, let me just try this thumbnail looking thing as a test. 

ETA:  Yep, I got a grey blob thumbnail looking avatar. 

ETA:  For Ceka, the dimensions where:  Width 170 pixels, Height 195 pixels (but that was for a blank space, which I was assuming means a background, but I guess not).  aaaaaaaaaaahk I'm in avatar college! 

ya..the place you have now is your avatar box or where your avatar would go..people are kind of doing it in revese and putting thier avatars on the backgrouund and something else in the little avatar box..

background images are on the last tab over in the settings labled "social connect..

your avatar which is the small box is located under avatar tab..

i guess what i am getting at is are you trying to use the space where say my picture shows up or where the bouncing F is?

if it's the bigger then set the image in the social connect area and not the avatar area.

and yes dimensions are 170px × 195px

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.