Clothing/skin wrapped in images from app interface (??)

Orzo Silverweb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bizarre behavior from Second Life Viewer 2 for Mac OS X 10.5.8.  I haven't used the site in ages, and just upgraded from Second Life 1.23.  It's easier to show pictures than to try to explain it...

Library or Inventory (I forget which) weirdness

I can't put on, or take off anything. Sometimes everything disappears except for my hair!

Tried rebaking, as well as clearing cache. Also tried the "Test male" thing I saw in one of the threads. Nothing works. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Orzo

How about a complete uninstall/reinstall?

Update your graphics driver.

Could your graphics card be messing up hardware skinning? Try disabling it in Preferences > Graphics and see if that helps.

Switch SL to primary monitor if running it on a secondary monitor at the moment.

All I can think of at the moment.

I've had this many times before, and it doesn't matter which viewer you're using, you can still get this bug. It's caused by bringing another window up in front of the SL viewer (when it's not minimized), or from interacting with background controls while a SL popup window has cursor focus during the time when the AV textures are still downloading. Somehow doing that tricks your system into replacing those SL textures with some from the active element (whatever it is), then they wind up getting baked into the AVs final texture during the appearance update. It's a corrupted texture inside your texture cache that's causing manual rebake to fail, because SL looks to the cache first and will use the one there if it exists. The inventory wierdness pic also shows portions of the titlebar where the baked morph point pictures should be for each slider adjustment. This is also the same issue. Somehow focus was taken away from that shirt Edit window right when it was reloading the minimum and maximum slider pics (reloading usually happens when you first go to that window, and right after you hit "save" on that clothing layer). The solution is most definitely to clear the texture cache.

Hey Dana!

Would that also account for why the instanced copy of my yacht, which I have perma-rezzed in the inlet dock I created next to my house, sometimes is wearing the text from some miscellaneous notecard as a paint job?!

It's the weirdest thing. I can understand that maybe the first time it happened it was because of something like having a notecard open while the textures rezzed. But it has happened numerous times since, despite having cleared cache many times, used different official SL viewers as well as Firestorm Beta, numerous machine restarts, video driver updates, etc. And even funnier is I haven't opened a notecard at home but maybe three times since within the first 10-15 minutes after rezzing at home.

minutes later...

"Oh! Don't sneak up on me like that, haha. You scared me! Hey, aren't you Rod Serling? Is this still SL??"

Thanks for the replies!

Dana: "The solution is most definitely to clear the texture cache."

And the way I do that is...???? :matte-motes-smile:

I am almost a complete noob when it comes to SL.

Also, keep in mind that I'm on a Mac, not a PC. I searched the hard drive for files with "Second Life" and "secondlife" in their names -- including system files and invisible files -- but I didn't find anything that looked cache-ish.

Thanks again!

Orzo Silverweb wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

Dana: "The solution
is most definitely
to clear the
texture
cache."

And the way I do
that
is...???? :matte-motes-smile:

I am almost a complete noob when it comes to SL.

Also, keep in mind that I'm on a Mac, not a PC. I searched the hard drive for files with "Second Life" and "secondlife" in their names -- including system files and invisible files -- but I didn't find anything that looked cache-ish.

Thanks again!

Well, you can go...oh. No PC. Okay well I don't know where SL stores its stuff on a Mac, but the preferences in SL should give you some location, right? I know there's a \texturecache folder under the main folder with the viewer's name in the logged in profile's \app data\local directory. Each user would have their own that was unique to them, so it would be in their profile subfolder instead of the main SL folder. I just Control-A and blow away the entire folder full of stuff including the \texturecache folder and all its subfolders.

There is a Jira on this issue and it does seem to confirm what Dana says, bringing another window in front while your avatar is baking can cause this bug. The way to avoid this happening is to keep fous on the SL window until your avatar has fully rezzed or alternatively disable anti-aliasing in the viewer and if you want anti-aliasing, use your GPU software. The first option seems the easiest to do. I've seen the odd case of a misplaced texture but never anything like Orzo's photo. Wonder if some systems or graphics cards are more prone to it than others.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-3282

Okay, I was able to fix it. I'm not 100% sure of the order of the steps, because I had been trying various things and failing before hitting on what worked, but I think this is it:

1. I cleared the Cache (which I had already done several times before) by going to Me>Preferences>Advanced and clicking the Clear Cache button.
  2. I went to Me>Preferences>Graphics and changed the Quality and Speed setting from High to Mid, thinking that this might force a redraw.
  3. I right-clicked on my avatar, and selected My Appearance.
  4. It was either immediately after step 2 or step 3 (can't remember which) that my avatar went totally nude. For the first time, it had a full body again.
  5. In the Wearing tab of the My Appearance window, I clicked wrench icon to the right of Now wearing...
  6. I clicked the wrench icon to the right of the socks that appeared in the list.
  7. I clicked the Texture button, and selected a texture from Library>Textures>Fabric.
  8. Once I hit OK, the whole outfit I had worn before redrew.
  9. I went back and set the Graphics setting back to High.

So far, all is well...

This error was pretty common when 2.0 first came out - and was found to be the result of installing into the same directories as 1.23 was in - either the application or the cache or both.

1.23 and 2.0 need to occupy completely 123% different places on your computer. PC or Mac.

The problem is that a default install - even if -YOU- put 2.0 into a different folder, will still use the location that your 1.23 cache was in, and the same directory that you 1.23 chat logs were in.

So even people who know to keep them separate often end up with parts in the same locations without knowing it...

- Now try to get the average 'not a techie' user past that hurdle.

Pussycat: Good point re files belonging to the old version.  I suspected as much all along, but could not locate the ancillary files.  I dunno why; they were easy enough to find just now. Maybe it was the lateness of the hour of my OP...

Anyway, for any other Mac users reading this post, there are two folders:

• [yourName]/Library/Application Support/SecondLife
  • [yourName]/Library/Caches/SecondLife

where [yourName] is the name of the account on your Mac from which you run SL.

Each of these contains subfolders with more stuff in 'em.

Even though the avatar weirdness was resolved last night, I just moved both of those folders to the desktop before starting SL. My avatar had the cloud/ghost appearance for a few seconds, and then it appeared as normal. I'm assuming that this was when the program fetched this info from the server and copied it into the newly recreated Cache folders. So now I'll trash the old copies I moved to the desktop, and live happily ever after.  :matte-motes-smile:

Thanks,

Orzo

Kascha Matova wrote:

Hey Dana!

Would that also account for why the instanced copy of my yacht, which I have perma-rezzed in the inlet dock I created next to my house, sometimes is wearing the text from some miscellaneous notecard as a paint job?!

That almost sounds like a mixture of both the window bug and what Pussycat says about cache locations. If it's only the window bug, then clearing cache and a relog should fix it. i've had SL menus on my house, AND me so I know it's a form of cache texture corruption, and clearing the cache has always worked first time. Something residual and reappearing at random times like your boat textures I would think may have started from the window bug initially, but may be still hanging around because you possibly have more than one viewer installed on your machine and they use the same folder for cache. I would uninstall all your viewers, delete their hidden folders completely, and only reinstall the one you want to use.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.