Surface Names Maya

Marcthur Goosson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I import a Maya scene with all surfaces named properly.

SL names every prim "Object" only the rootprim has the name (seems randomly) of a maya surface.

My Maya scene has several groups wherein are several surfaces.

No surfaces are named the same.

I use maya 2011 fbx dae export.

Any ideas, tricks, tips, suggestions to have my prims the same name as the surfaces in maya.

Thanks

I am assuming you mean export the Maya scene to be uploaded, I have not done any scene exports only selection so I can't say anything about multiple objects but I get the same thing when I export to collada with single objects that are named but names do not transfer. I have double checked the .dae file to make sure they are correct and they are so I am not sure why they uploader does not recognize them. 

I use 2012 with FBX-DAE export or 2011 with OpenCollada export

I have double checked the .dae file to make sure they are correct and they are

Where does the correct name appear in the Collada file?

In Blender 2.49 exported files, it only appears as the name and id attributes of  the <node> in the single <visual scene> tag. For a while, that was used as the imported object name, but it seems to have reverted to using the name/id of the <geometry> tag. This is the same as the object name, but with "-Geometry" tagged on the end. (Name and id are always identical. I woiuld guess it uses the id, as that is guaranteed to be unique.) Sometimes it uses the name with a number tagged on, but I haven't worked out when that is.  What are those names and ids in the Maya export? 

The other annoying thing is that when it uses the slm file to fill in the data on re-uploading the same file, it calls the imported model "mesh model".

I am using Blender 2.58.0.
A parent name of a linkset is derived from not an object name but a mesh name without name input on an uploader.
A suffix "-mesh" is added to the name.
All children's name are "Object".

Drongle McMahon wrote:

The other annoying thing is that when it uses the slm file to fill in the data on re-uploading the same file, it calls the imported model "mesh model".

Thank you Drongle McMahon.

I found  one of  reasons of strange behaviors during uploading.

<library_materials>    <material id="avatar1SG1" name="avatar1SG1">  

<surface type="2D">            <init_from>avatar1SG1F</init_from>          </surface>        </newparam>        <newparam sid="avatar1SG1F-sampler">

That is from about 1/4 of the way down on my .dae file, my material name in Maya is avatar1, I am not sure what SG1 is about I think that is something possibly for Maya to use?

[edited] congratulations on your A :D

Hmm. That's the material names. I don't think materials names are used in SL (yet?).  I thought it was the object names we were talking about. Did I misunderstand?

PS. I don't like the purple bowling pin. How can I get demoted? Should I start being rude to Lindens or something? :matte-motes-impatient:

I was going by the fact he said all surfaces named correctly and thinking that is what SL is using to name things. My mesh or object and would be same as root prim is named in Maya avatarbase_mesh and is named by the uploader unless I change it usually to polymesh with a number after it.

LOL on the purple bowling pin :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.