Mesh and Sculpt Comparisons

Vivienne Daguerre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes. No criticism intended. For the purists, here is a graph showing the benefit of extra LOD reduction at different steps for objects of different size. The lines are the cost of the first vs the second of the following models compared to the model [32,16,8,4], where the numbers are successive LOD relative triangle counts: red = [32,16,8,1]; green = [32,16,2,1]; blue = [32,4,2,1]. the dashed vertical lines are at the radii 5.43, 10.86 and 43.44.

optimvr.png

Drongle McMahon wrote:

the dashed vertical lines are at the radii 5.43, 10.86 and 43.44.

I do not get exactly how to match the radii with the maximum BBoxes as you wrote in your previous post:

e.g. for a cube of 15,15,15, the radius should be sqrt(x*x + y*y +z*z)  (with x=y=z=7.5) .

So i get:

sqrt(3* 7.5 * 7.5 ) =  sqrt( 3 * 56.25) = 12.99  But you write that the radius of that BBOx is 10.86.

When i make the reverse calculation, then i get a bbox of ~ <12.5,12.5,12.5> to match with a radius of 10.86 (roughly)

Can you explain where i am doing wrong ?

Whoops! :matte-motes-shocked:

You are right. I use: d = 2*r/sqrt(3), where d is the x/y/z dimension and r is the radius, which is the same as you are saying. It looks like I must have used sqrt(2) instead of sqrt(3), which would be for a flat square mesh! Thanks for catching that. I will correct it now.

Yup, unfortunately most of your mesh builds are very lowpoly (no room for further LOD reduction, which would bring any benefit regarding PE) and very specialized in functionality. Saddly, the developers gave no hint during the beta, that such unforeseen stuff like "add a script and possibly double your PE" will be introduced.

Anyway, your chalkboard is still the most clever build I have seen during the whole mesh beta.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.