New Head? Which one or keep what I have?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I currently have a Maitreya Lara body, Catwa Sofia head. It looks okay but I'm wondering if another head would be easier to find addons for. I'll admit my limited time online makes me a bit lazy in trying to find things or working with my avatar. And while I'm not stupid, I find BOM frustrating at times. I've watched the videos but I find it frustrating. Any suggestions on a different head that's easier to work with or a way to work with my existing avi? Thanks.

Just as Maitreya Lara is the most commonly used body - and therefore has the most clothing made for it, - Lelutka EvoX heads have the most stuff for them. BOM is just like using old system skin, tattoos and clothing. The alternative is using applier skin, tattoos & clothing. If you set your body to BOM, you shouldn't use the skins in the HUD for the body, because those are applier skins. The current Maitrya Lara update (v5.3) includes both  Velour BOM & HUD skins, which means Velour face skins in those tones should work seamlessly with those body skins.

If you use a Lelutka EvoX head, applier skins aren't an option. The heads are BOM by default. However, you have a choice of using either an [EvoX] or a standard UV map skin [Evo] and either or both applier and/or BOM makeup. Makeup HUDs made for Lelutka Evolution or EvoX heads both work. HUDs made for Lelutka Origins heads will not work. If you get one of the other non-Lelutka heads that work with the EvoX UV map, you can use EvoX BOM skins and makeup, but only the applier HUDs made for that brand of head. (Good Luck finding those.)

As for what's easier to use, demo the heads for yourself. I feel like the Lelutka heads are the easiest for me to use, but I'm sure this is largely because I'm more used to them. Genus still has a free head and skin for group members, if you want to try that one. It is not EvoX compatible, but can use the standard UV map or their new 4K skin map.

There are still Catwa skins and makeup out there, but most are currently made for EvoX.

• Thanks 1

I think Lelutka EvoX will give you the most "mileage" if one of your goals is to buy something that a) has a lot of compatible "accessories" and b) will "last" a long time.

As mentioned BoM are just textures that you wear. With the Lelutka EvoX it's as simple as just that...wearing it. One advantage of BoM, which is likely more relevant to women with respect to makeup, is that "applier" layers tend to glow, as though they are full bright, under projector lights, such as the colored lights in clubs. BoM layers do not do that as they are flattened with the skin by the server and sent to the viewer as one texture.

The "new thing" recently is 4k heads...heads that use four textures instead of two resulting in a higher resolution for your skin. Personally I've not noticed any perceptible difference in appearance with them and consider it a bit of a marketing gimmick at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2024 at 5:18 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

Just as Maitreya Lara is the most commonly used body - and therefore has the most clothing made for it, - Lelutka EvoX heads have the most stuff for them. BOM is just like using old system skin, tattoos and clothing. The alternative is using applier skin, tattoos & clothing. If you set your body to BOM, you shouldn't use the skins in the HUD for the body, because those are applier skins. The current Maitrya Lara update (v5.3) includes both  Velour BOM & HUD skins, which means Velour face skins in those tones should work seamlessly with those body skins.

If you use a Lelutka EvoX head, applier skins aren't an option. The heads are BOM by default. However, you have a choice of using either an [EvoX] or a standard UV map skin [Evo] and either or both applier and/or BOM makeup. Makeup HUDs made for Lelutka Evolution or EvoX heads both work. HUDs made for Lelutka Origins heads will not work. If you get one of the other non-Lelutka heads that work with the EvoX UV map, you can use EvoX BOM skins and makeup, but only the applier HUDs made for that brand of head. (Good Luck finding those.)

As for what's easier to use, demo the heads for yourself. I feel like the Lelutka heads are the easiest for me to use, but I'm sure this is largely because I'm more used to them. Genus still has a free head and skin for group members, if you want to try that one. It is not EvoX compatible, but can use the standard UV map or their new 4K skin map.

There are still Catwa skins and makeup out there, but most are currently made for EvoX.

Wrong interpratation of what EVO X means. It's a type of way to make a facial skin layer, created and licensed out by LeLUTKA. This facial BOM (yeah, it's still a BOM layer) allows skin creators to make a more detailed skin for the heads. But as is this way a mesh head accepting that type of layer is licensed out to other head creators, LeLUTKA isn't the soil head creator that uses EVO X. You have LOGO with their LOGO X range (updated heads to accept the EVOX skins, as well the older BOM), LaQ with their SupremeHD line which has an EVO X version included in the folder, Akeruka with their AK ADVX (Only EVO X), Catwa (with currently 4 heads that are soily EVOX), GA.EG (with 2 different heads in the folder, one standard BOM and one EVOX enabled) and there is some creator with fantasy heads that uses EVO X too. I am currently wearing the Catwa Reema head which is EVOX enabled, and as I have heard in their VIP channel, following new heads that will be at sale at Catwa will be EVO X from now on, without updating the previous range.

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.