M1 pro 16/512 16 inc is capable of design ?

ARM translation isn’t amazing but it’s way better than it used to be. Blender has native arm support if youre using blender, and in general works well on Macs and specially on the ARM Macs.

SL is a mixed bag, it’ll run, OpenGL is still supported on M1/2/3, it’s just not optimized. So you may come across general performance issues related to running the application through Rosetta to begin with, but also with an already unoptimized openGL game running on hardware that only has openGL support as a fallback.

If you need a laptop on the performance equivalent end of a MacBook, but need secondlife to work well, there are a lot of other options. Unless needing MacOS is a requirement outright, I’d look at different machines than ARM MacBooks when SL is a primary use case.

Designing and in game pictures, sure. But you will not at all be happy with the overall performance in world unless your settings are turned down quite a bit. Any of my M1-equipped Macs can run it, sure, but compared to my gaming PC it feels like running through a pit of tar at times.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

I have a windows machine Ryzen 7 + rtx 4060, it's more than enough for SL, I just dont want to carry 3kg's laptop in my bag.

In game perfomance isn't that much important for me.

Will I have some in game graphics glitches, cos it will be an issue when taking in game screenshots.

Or will I have some bugs with Avastar Add-on in Blender (rigging) or some other addons like re-topology addons.

Having had Apple Macs for most of the last 20 years, but having converted to Windows last year, it really does have to be said that Mac SL performance is shockingly bad and likely to get worse in ways that can't be mitigated  in graphics settings with the upcoming Firestorm PBR release, where it will no longer be possible to turn the graphics settings right down in the way that is possible today.

If you want a light and efficient laptop that can still do SL reasonably well, it might be worth considering a Windows laptop with a AMD 7840u or 8840u. These APUs are aimed at the handheld gaming console market, so (despite having integrated graphics) they do work pretty well for SL and are also very power efficient.

Here's a 16" 7840u laptop that is only 1.23Kg

https://www.acer.com/us-en/laptops/swift/swift-edge

• Thanks 1