Just discovered this -- Agni?? Huh? lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 80 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Paying RL wages for RL jobs isn't ridiculously high IMHO.

Whilst this is true in principle,  it was unheard of in SL at the time when I met IBM i think, so when I said the fees were high, i meant compared to any other opportunities i'd heard about during that time. In later years SL was hyped as being Web 2.0, (I think that was the term) and lots of companies wanted a slice and were paying realistic levels of compensation, it became more commonplace to be paid a RL wage as it were.

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

They saw their projects as doing business, not playing Second Life.

This is both true and not true. Whilst some IBM employees were here for business, some were at work, being paid and just mucking about in SL because they could, with no business related goals.

/engage anecdote mode:

Here is how I met IBM, A random dude came into my stop and bought everything. I would estimate about 30 prefabs at the time. Then he sent me a message a few hours later and asked me to come and set them up for him as it was his first day and he didn’t  know his arse from his elbow. He offered me L$10k for a few hours of work. I got chatting to him and he told me SL was available to everyone in his office. He’d made an account and a coworker had given him L$50k. He didn't even know L$ had a RL value, he assumed it was game money. In the coming days, other IBM employees saw the builds I’d set up on their land and this led to commissioned work, if I remember rightly the first job was to build replicas of RL conference rooms from various IBM sites.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 80 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.