Shoes - Dev Kit toe allignment, I am confused :-/

Butler Offcourse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

After a break, I am back! In the meantime when I was lost, I didn't stop blender, I did bunch of furnitures, tried to learn optimizing my models..etc but then rl came in, I could not continue. In the meantime, I did some 3d models as a hobby, like I made an interior, a keyboard, a computer, some other stuff and they turned out pretty nice. Last week, a friend of mine, asked me to make a pair of shoes for her. She sent me the photos of the rl shoes and she wants those ones. They are some high heeled sandals. I said, well, let's take the challenge! And I decided to do it.

So I opened the dev kit, but I am confused. The toes are not alligned from the position that the avi is standing. Like the pinky toes are higher than the big toe. How should I do the shoes? I should just do parallell to the toes and it will be fixed in sl once the avi is using the AO..etc? I added a slight curve to make it look less shocking and more straight, but I have no idea if it is the correct technique? Because by doing it the way I am thinking of doing, the sole doesn't sit flat on the floor as you can see on the screenshots.

Thank you in advance. If you wish I can share the other blender works that I did here, but since they were not SL related, I didnt want to dirty the thread/forum with non-SL related stuff. :)

I appreciate the time you put to answer, thank you!

EDIT: I added new images of how I am doing right now, is it correct? Please do not consider the polygon count statistics, for now it is not optimized at all. They are just planes with solidify and subsurface pumped 2 levels just for my eyes. :D But it will be highly optimized - to my ability of course - before uploading to sl.

Screenshot from 2024-02-25 19-03-40.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-25 19-03-09.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-25 20-40-21.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-25 20-35-55.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-25 20-41-44.png

Edited by Butler Offcourse
  • Like 3

I'd be surprised if many people noticed to be honest what with how we so often seem to have to mess with our hover height in SL and our feet so often are clipping into the ground a little (or floating slightly)... many animations cause shoes to not sit flat as well.

I suppose you could be real fancy about it and attempt to emulate how a (worn) pair of shoes will show some deformation from where the toes have pressed in and caused indentation? that way you might be able to achieve a more flat to the ground sole... but that does sound like a lot of work for something most people wouldn't notice.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

Hello AmeliaJ08, I appreciate your time for replying!

You are right most probably and I am getting lost in unnecessary details :D It is just that when I do something, I want it to be perfect, I don't like to do stuff, and then say "well, it came out like this". But then again, with hover weights and all, it shouldn't be so noticeable. So the way it is coming out, on the photos that I have sent, were not really bad.

Do you think that the back part is a bit too small? should I make it a bit bigger? Because when I push it a bit more backwards, I am scared that it will show the insole from the top view. I could not find good referance photos about it, so I just eyeballed but I am not sure if the shoe looks too small for the feet lol.

Thank you again and I will use this thread to share my progress with you! That is what I had done three years ago when I had done the ballerina flats :)

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Butler Offcourse said:

Hello AmeliaJ08, I appreciate your time for replying!

You are right most probably and I am getting lost in unnecessary details :D It is just that when I do something, I want it to be perfect, I don't like to do stuff, and then say "well, it came out like this". But then again, with hover weights and all, it shouldn't be so noticeable. So the way it is coming out, on the photos that I have sent, were not really bad.

Do you think that the back part is a bit too small? should I make it a bit bigger? Because when I push it a bit more backwards, I am scared that it will show the insole from the top view. I could not find good referance photos about it, so I just eyeballed but I am not sure if the shoe looks too small for the feet lol.

Thank you again and I will use this thread to share my progress with you! That is what I had done three years ago when I had done the ballerina flats :)

Cheers!

I totally understand and I think they look great, it is a lovely shape.

As far as the size looking through my collection of backless heels in SL they're mostly very closely fitted like yours because of course we have that luxury in SL! in real life this isn't how it is very often though, maybe supermodels get their stilettos in custom perfect size though!

If you really wanted a more typical RL look then you might want to extend the back just a tiny touch.

They look lovely though, when you are finished I will buy a pair :) and I'm interested in these ballerina flats hehe

Hi again :)

17 hours ago, Butler Offcourse said:

So I opened the dev kit, but I am confused. The toes are not alligned from the position that the avi is standing. Like the pinky toes are higher than the big toe. How should I do the shoes? I should just do parallell to the toes and it will be fixed in sl once the avi is using the AO..etc? I added a slight curve to make it look less shocking and more straight, but I have no idea if it is the correct technique? Because by doing it the way I am thinking of doing, the sole doesn't sit flat on the floor as you can see on the screenshots

It looks like your model is in an A pose, (legs slightly spread) which results in the soles of the feet not being flat on the floor. In Pose mode the mHipLeft and mHipRight bones have been rotated a little so that there is more space between the thighs which helps when creating and weighting some items of clothes. (for example pants/trousers).

When creating your shoes it would be better to have the model in the T pose, the default position of the armature, (no bones rotated in pose mode, the legs are straight, ankles closer together and the thighs usually touching). The soles of the feet will be flat to the ground.

If the above is the case then It maybe as simple as switching from the Pose Position to the Rest position in the Properties panel.

In Object mode > Select the Armature from the Outliner > Object Data Properties (little green running man icon) > and from the Pose options switch from the Pose Position to the Rest Position. see images below :

Apose-min.thumb.png.c9fa877678d555b9ac780db1b1e00735.png

Tpose-min.thumb.png.3becaf07ae9eeb2210b04d938348573e.png

Note:

If needed it is possible to clear the bone rotations made in Pose mode (resetting all bones rotations to the default T pose again)

Object mode > Select Armature > Pose mode > A key to select all bones > Alt R to clear all rotations.

Now back in Object mode the Pose Position will be the same as the Rest Position.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

Hello Aquila! What a pleasure to read from you again! You are always helpful to me and you always open new horizons to me! :) I knew nothing about those armatures and positions! I learned something new today as I usual learn from you! :)

But I have a slight problem:

- I did select the armature from the outliner as you have adviced me to do so.

- Then I went to the running green man, and I clicked on the rest position

But as you can see on the screenshot, nothing has changed for me. Am I doing something wrong or am I not doing something completely?

Thank you so muchagain for your patience! much appreciated! :)

20240226_14h31m11s_grim.png

4 hours ago, Butler Offcourse said:

But I have a slight problem:

- I did select the armature from the outliner as you have adviced me to do so.

- Then I went to the running green man, and I clicked on the rest position

But as you can see on the screenshot, nothing has changed for me. Am I doing something wrong or am I not doing something completely?

My knowledge of rigging and weight painting is minimal so what I am suggesting below could be completely wrong but I think it will be OK for your shoe creation.

To me it sounds like the Pose Position (A pose) has been applied as the Rest Position (T pose) ?  Both Pose and Rest Positions are the same.

To get back to Rest Pose = T pose and Pose Position = A pose .................... your going to love this lol :  thanks to Jaroslav Jerryno Novotny at https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/49768/can-i-set-my-pose-position-like-the-new-rest-position

Starting from where it seems you  are with at Rest and Pose Position the same :

RestAposition.gif.93c192a109bebbd34e22e44951fac837.gif

First save your file with a new name  because ....... just because :)

Returning to the "default" Rest Position :  

1-min.thumb.png.fc77eb0231cc967acf7eb7f6b101a2e9.png

Looking at your original screenshot and comparing foot position to background grid , to me it looks like the mHipLeft and mHipRight bones have been rotated  5 degrees that's why in the next step we are going to rotate them back by 5°. (and 5° is not just some random number so makes sense).

With X axis mirror enabled any rotation we do on the left side will automatically be mirrored on the right side :

2-min.thumb.png.3611d11449154a5c0677e29915c636bd.png

Remove Armature modifier from body and feet:

3-min(1).thumb.png.ded801b239b7f5817d2ab6a9ff8682b9.png

Applying this pose as Rest Position :

4-min.thumb.png.d4df508bebe73ace4b25b657e6491284.png

Adding back the Armature modifier to body and feet objects:

6-min.thumb.png.60170c5e38c89dfa7611e472ce6ac885.png

This next step is optional, it is recreating the Pose Position (A Pose) the same as before :

7-min.thumb.png.0dd14e6c3a04f295a6377e608ba8eb90.png

Rotating mHipleft (along with mHipRight) minus 5 degrees :

8-min.thumb.png.a578a75c0f0557975994d009c1f957af.png

Now we have a Rest Position  and a separate Pose Position :

RestTpose.gif.350d4d279ad3b8e24247be4eb2f8c606.gif

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

Hello Aquila! THANK YOU! You are a genius also a very nice person for taking ALL THAT TIME to help and explain! I really appreciate!

So I did everything you said step by step. The only difference or where I had an issue was the third image. When I was selecting the mHipLeft and rotate it, nothing was happenning. I tried all the axises, everthing with no luck. Then out of curiosity, instead of selecting the bone, I selected the green circle that was just on top of the name mHipLeft, not knowing what it is and when I rotated it, it gave exactly the same effect as yours!

Before:

rotate.thumb.png.7cf9f70584bb8a2ab8d6a02e485e427e.png

And after:

rotate2.thumb.png.5f9daef65a8c2a6cac889579bb4d6944.png

Also my rotation axis was Y axis, but it should be because of different dev kits that we may be using I suppose?

Then I deleted the armature, readded the armature, and also set the original pose as well like all of your steps and it works like a charm!

When I finish the shoes, would this rotation cause me issues? I know that you said that you are not a professional on rigging but still, your knowledge is way better than mine! Well my knowledge is 0 and I don't wanna rig lol, just because I promised I have to do it and it gives me an excuse to learn it as well! - I am scared though, I feel like it should be very hard -

Having said that, I will continue posting in this thread like the ballerina thread, to get your feedback, because even if you just tell me "you can improve this or that" it helps me a lot! And I did not know about the mirror X that you showed me here! I learned something important! I appreciate that a lot! :)

Now I have to restart the shoe! :D But you are used to see me restart from 0 often :D It is the part of my work flow I suppose haha :D

Cheers!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Butler Offcourse said:

When I finish the shoes, would this rotation cause me issues?

That was my question as well :)  Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to asnwer that.

My thinking was it would be easier to model the shoe with the foot straight and sole flat to the floor. Then if necessary, you could copy and paste it back in to the original file and rotate the shoe a little to fit the foot etc.

Well if they don't answer, we will find out when I come to that step! hopefully in a week if i will have enough time to work after work! Tonight I will restart the shoes with the new skeleton position and as you said, which i was thinking as well, in the worst case, I can just rotate the shoes at the end. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.