Mini pc & ultra usage

14 hours ago, DaDonMegaMrBell said:

And on that list call me you sent me the one for 1300 yeah Z box how well you think it would run

It would do SL fine, it’s just worth noting the economical issue with it being $1300 when you could DIY something substantially better for under $1000

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XJMxPF
In looking at this kind of machine I would reach out to local system builders and see what they charge for assembly and setup, and just order a set of parts yourself. Getting a PC assembled shouldn’t cost any more than $200 and you can probably do it for less if you have any tech inclined relatives. 

Yes, both are very serviceable. The graphics card (RTX 3060) is a good choice for SL since it has lots of VRAM and is pretty fast.

Of those two I would go for the white one with the i7-12700 since SL does require as much CPU as you can give it, it also has double the RAM and should be good for many years to come.

• Confused 1

If we are talking about the first in that folder, the "HP Victus 15L Gaming Desktop Computer 12th Gen Intel 12-Core i7-12700 Processor 64GB RAM 2TB SSD + 1TB HDD Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 Graphic USB-C DisplayPort Win11 + HDMI Cable" (great title Amazon)

then yes, I can't see why it couldn't be upgraded later. I believe it would run Ultra settings quite well right now and into the future though. You may want a faster graphics card in a couple of years but it would just be a drop in replacement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaDonMegaMrBell said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r8YO-3iu2m4kmPhfe1z3w4XO624RHqLZ

Oh no you can’t see all of them I do like the white one though it’s not all that expensive. Can it be upgraded if needed, because ultra is still my goal?

Proprietary motherboard, its an HP pavillion with a different shell and name. Same proprietary power supply, cooler is mounted directly to the chassis which isnt ideal since changing the cooler means modifying the chassis itself. Wouldnt recommend it if you ever wanted to do any upgrades. A better GPU down the line would require a different power supply, and since the power supply is non standard, it means youd have almost no options or would have to buy adapters to get a different power supply to work with it.

Anything with a mechanical hard drive even secondary to an SSD is to be ignored as well. A 1tb HDD is like $30, its not a selling point when a 1tb SSD is $50.

Same applies to the actual pavillion, proprietary. Also a few generations out of date if youre going to be buying new.

Buy something standard, from a big name for components, not entire systems. Thermaltake doesnt really make PC's as a whole, they just sell prebuilts with their components in them:

Amazon.com: Thermaltake LCGS Quartz i460 R4 Gaming Desktop (Intel Core™ i5-13400F, 3600Mhz 16GB RGB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 4060, 1TB NVMe M.2) S2QT-B66R-460-LCS : Electronics

13400F is only one generation old, current asrock B660 motherboard which is a solid choice, 3600mhz DDR4 from thermaltake, decent ram. Its a thermaltake S200 case, decent power supply, decent cooler. MSI RTX 4060 in matching white. You could basically take this pc and its just like any other gaming pc that people DIY. Because theres no compromise of weird parts or brands.  

Something like that is what i would highly recommend for a normal gaming PC. Its a reputable brand with good components in a normal standard.

For people outside of the PC community the whole standardization thing is not well known, but basically all motherboards and power supplies for off the shelf parts are compatible, going back over 25 years now. 

1_sNk_TjiYJyBTeMzqSM1eNA.png.d1a268d01af55047274387134de218b9.png

All of these boards primary difference is slot count, and some minor dimensional changes. But any ATX case can take all 3 types of board. Any power supply will work with them as they all have the same 24 pin power connector and 8 pin cpu power connector. They all use the same rear i/o spacing, they all use the same slot spacing.

This means any system with any of those boards, you can swap the board for anything else of the same or smaller size. You can use any power supply. Any add-on card you put in the slots wether its the single slot of the mini itx board or slot 7 on the atx board, will fit. 

They will fit in any ATX case, even if your case is from 2001 or 2025.

This is the board from the victus 15L (the AMD version, same layout as the intel one):

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.956b71475249a827267dfabd42a9e740.jpg

It is not the atx standard. It will only work in that HP chassis, and wont fit in any other case. It doesnt have a 24 pin, it uses a proprietary power connector and will only work with a power supply made just for it. This is a non re-usable component, and since the case is proprietary to this motherboard it means you cant even swap out the board for a different platform later.

I recommend AIB's like skytech:

Amazon.com: Skytech Gaming

They make normal PCs, in off the shelf components. Its the same build as you could DIY yourself for the most part. Any component can be changed if you wanted. There is no "only compatible with skytech" out there, its just normal pc standards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DaDonMegaMrBell said:

Hey all I think I’ve built the system I need. I’m hoping now I can hop in the ultra club

Looks solid, proper SI doing normal builds with normal parts.

You’re going to need a better cooler with that 13700k. Intel doesn’t ship it with a stock cooler because the stock cooler that comes with the lower wattage chips isn’t adequate. If they offer it, any 120mm tower or basic water cooler will do.

This is down to your own personal financial situation but do be cautious of rent to own programs. Go for credit if you have to or if your budget simply doesn’t allow for something like this, you might have to diy to save money. Rent to own PCs are a known questionable business.

PCs depreciate in value like cars do, as is the nature of a market where new things come out every year. And rent to own programs will try to lock you into long term rental agreements where you end up paying 2-3x the price of the pc new, years down the line, when eventually just a payment made on the pc is worth more than the pc is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaDonMegaMrBell said:

Budget doesn’t allow for a whole new high quality pc smh and I’m paralyzed my friend my hands don’t work or I’d build them myself I like puzzles 

I think the suggestion was more that you need to select a cooler appropriate for that CPU, I'm sure if you chatted with the sales people they'd be able to include one for under $50 extra (possibly more, plenty of good coolers for that CPU in the $30 range).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

I would also upgrade the power supply unit. PSU should be 800 watts or more if you want to keep it upgradable for a while, or if you add extra components to power up from the PC.

I guess so, you can probably reasonably expect similar hardware tiers to become lower power in future though? the 5060Ti will almost certainly consume less power than the 4060Ti for example. The CPU will probably not be upgradeable to whatever the next major Intel iteration is though :P

Hard to say. Given the minimal costs involved though it's one of those things where it probably is best just going for something overpowered currently though.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

Posted (edited)

Mixed signals. I canceled the order.  I gotta approved for a 300$ credit limit. If anybody gets a chance to go over and check out the hardware, I would really love a suggestion for the best build that I can create for that amount. I love you guys though y’all have been super instrumental in the process that was transforming me from an ordinary, all than one user to hopefully an ultra 2nd Life community member 🤣🤣

PS it’s really nothing. I’m taking my time because I wanted to be right.

Edited by DaDonMegaMrBell
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:49 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I guess so, you can probably reasonably expect similar hardware tiers to become lower power in future though? the 5060Ti will almost certainly consume less power than the 4060Ti for example. The CPU will probably not be upgradeable to whatever the next major Intel iteration is though :P

Hard to say. Given the minimal costs involved though it's one of those things where it probably is best just going for something overpowered currently though.

Lots of multimedia gear needs extra power. If I was building a tower today, I'd want it to tackle DAW tasks, as well as graphical stuff... Definitely benefits from a more powerful PSU. Yes, the 5xxx series could be less power hungry, but I'd want the extra juice just in case. :)

• Like 1