llGetNextEmail Is there any point in specifying address and subject?

Ciaran Laval

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working with llEmail for a project, what concerns me is that llGetNextEmail looks for the next matching email so

llGetNextEmail(address, "Some Subject");

What happens if, for some reason, my prim is receiving emails from elsewhere, would the email queue just fill up and if that is the case, is it therefore better just to leave the strings blank?

I don't know it for sure, but according to the wiki only the mail that matches the llGetNextEmail-filters (address/subject) is removed from the queue.  Since all other mails remain unchanged, it's IMO very likely that the queue fills up...and at some point can't receive/store further mails.

So just checking the address/subject inside the email-event and using  llGetNextEmail with empty filters.

• Like 1

It makes sense to check to pull all emails from the queue since if - for whatever reason - mails you are not removing from the queue reach 100, incoming mails will bounce.This behaviour is described in the wiki as well.

So, if there is a real danger of getting too many mails from too many senders, it makes sense to choose a different means of communication or use several receivers. The email event has a parameter that tells you how many emails there still are in the queue - of course you will only get this number if you have successfully polled for an email.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.