llGetObjectDetails(id,[OBJECT_CREATION_TIME]) issue

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Wiki seems to be mistaken, or at least misleading, when it says that this flag

Gets the object's creation time. This time is established with raw material rezzing through the build menu and with mesh uploads.
This time is NOT established with inventory rezzes, scripted rezzes, object modifying, copying or transferring.
If id is an avatar, an empty string is returned.

Today a friend and I noticed that 

llOwnerSay(llList2String(llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(),[OBJECT_CREATION_TIME]),0));

returned the same time for two instances of the same mesh that she had uploaded at different times.      

Further experiments suggest that the time returned is, in fact, the time the mesh was exported from Blender, not the time it was uploaded to SL.

Could someone please verify this and, if they have edit permissions for the Wiki, clarify the entry?   

I wanted to use OBJECT_CREATION_TIME to distinguish between two otherwise similar objects belonging to two competing teams in a game -- I don't like using object names/descriptions for this kind of thing, because they're subject to change, while OBJECT_CREATION_TIME isn't.   

But it would seem that, to use it this way, you have to export the mesh from the 3D creation programme twice and upload the results and not, as we had thought, just upload the same mesh twice.

15 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

returned the same time for two instances of the same mesh that she had uploaded at different times. 

This may be a side-effect of how uploading identical assets works.

For example, if you upload a texture... and then upload the same texture again, you'll get the same texture UUID both times. Basically, LL will check if the asset already exists, and then give you that copy instead of creating a brand new one. I hadn't tried it with mesh, but it seems very likely that they handle all assets the same way.

If you want two creation dates (neat thought), just make any change to the mesh (like move one vertex by 0.001 units) and it'll no longer match the other asset.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This may be a side-effect of how uploading identical assets works.

For example, if you upload a texture... and then upload the same texture again, you'll get the same texture UUID both times. Basically, LL will check if the asset already exists, and then give you that copy instead of creating a brand new one. I hadn't tried it with mesh, but it seems very likely that they handle all assets the same way.

So the safe plan would seem to be to re-export the mesh with a new name, or something like that, before re-uploading it.

• Like 2

I am curious whether this returns the actual "object creation date/time in-world" for non-mesh items and/or items that were not "imported" into Second Life in some way. 

Whether this means "when the ORIGINAL" object was created by the creator, or "when the object instance was rezzed"..

..?

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am curious whether this returns the actual "object creation date/time in-world" for non-mesh items and/or items that were not "imported" into Second Life in some way. 

Whether this means "when the ORIGINAL" object was created by the creator, or "when the object instance was rezzed"..

..?

Is there a difference?

When you rez a new object with build-tools, that's when that object is originally created. When you upload a mesh file, that's when that object is originally created. (Whether it uses the current date or the source file's date doesn't matter much.)

Either way, OBJECT_CREATION_TIME returns the same date for all copies of whatever the original asset had as its creation date.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

..?

The wiki accurately says it's when the original prim was rezzed, not when the object was rezzed from inventory. 

So I suppose an alternative solution would have been to rez two separate boxes, one a second or so after the first, shink them and make them invisible, and then link them to two instances of the same mesh as the root prim.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Is there a difference?

When you rez a new object with build-tools, that's when that object is originally created. When you upload a mesh file, that's when that object is originally created. (Whether it uses the current date or the source file's date doesn't matter much.)

Either way, OBJECT_CREATION_TIME returns the same date for all copies of whatever the original asset had as its creation date.

No, if you upload the same mesh file on two separate occassions, it looks as if the second one you upload with have the same creation time as the first.  

If you want them to have different creation times, you need to export the mesh twice, saving it with different names (?) and upload each of them.    

Just now, Innula Zenovka said:

No, if you upload the same mesh file on two separate occassions, it looks as if the second one you upload with have the same creation time as the first.  

If you want them to have different creation times, you need to export the mesh twice, saving it with different names (?) and upload each of them.    

Yes, I understand. With the exception of that one caveat, what I said holds true. :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.