Login page not loading/in world login not loading

HexMutt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For some reason for the past week the SL login webpage isn't loading at all. I can load secondlife.com but the minute I go to login it says the page can't be loaded? Also when I try to go in world it stops at requesting region capabilities? 

The only thing that has changed is we switched to a different internet provider (metronet) but that shouldn't cause issues with the login page not working?

77081fc5e581258ba4a8d470032f525b.png

7ea4c5c82a7eb4c126e0a199e01b90fd.png

8 answers to this question

It does sound like an Internet issue, so I would suspect the new ISP.  When you get that message about region capabilities, it's telling you that it's taking way too long to download basic startup files from the SL servers (now AWS).  That means your avatar appearance files, inventory, group information, and a lot of other things that need to be refreshed as you log in are stuck somewhere in the pipeline. If the block was on LL's end, we would see a huge wave of residents complaining about logins and there would probably be a message on the Grid Status Blog. Since those things are not happening, the slowdown has to be elsewhere ... your ISP or your own computer and its connection.

• Like 2

You could submit a Support Case or, if you are a Premium member, contact Live Chat.  It seems odd that LL would block their service ... more likely that they would block your own account for some reason, but you would probably know if you had been IP banned.  It occurs to me that there's another technical possibility. If your new ISP is using a satellite connection instead of cable or fiber, you could have a very long signal delay so that those startup downloads are timing out.

Metro is fiber, I submitted a support ticket to see what SL has to say about the issue. I know my account itself isn't banned because I can login from my phone using data, so can my spouse to his account. I've not done anything to warrant any kind of IP ban, I log in very rarely and even when I am on I am just standing there or putting together avatar textures. Just such a weird issue.

• Like 1

I am having the same problem after I moved to a new house. I had metronet at my old house and when I moved to my new house, I was able to keep metronet as my internet. It works just fine at my old house but when I move my computer to my new house (same ISP at both houses) I have issues. Additionally, I cannot submit a support ticket because support.secondlife.com is also not working.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.