is there any way to know the internet connection is ok or not for second life?

rusho Trill

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

You could try running Digital LifeSupport™:

Tech Support Software that keeps you connected to the Internet, so you don't lose access to your Second Life in-world experience, or your favorite Web content.
Digital LifeSupport™ proactively monitors your Internet connection and provides a dashboard view of your PC's health. If problems are discovered, most can be repaired with one click. With Digital LifeSupport™, you also get user-friendly support articles for troubleshooting modem and router issues.

Note: Only runs on Windows.

Disclaimer: I've never used this software and know zip about it.

Good luck!

If you believe your connection is causing you problems contact your ISP for assistance.

A wired connection is better then a wireless connection because the connection is more consistent. Wireless connection "drift" causing reliability problems and react to the weather and internal condition in the home.

A faster connection is better then a slower one.

Adjusting the bandwidth slider in the preferences might help you. The path is Me > preferences > setup > maximum badwidth. Try sliding it all the way to the right first; if this does not improve it, slide it left or right to the place where you get the best performance.

You can get network monitoring software to monitor your connections (Google "Free Network Monitoring).  But, unless you are managing a larger network the resources taken by the software running in a background can slow you down unnecessarily.  A better way, in my opinion, is to periodically test your connection (most ISP's in today's world are pretty consistant and the performance seldom varies much at all.......exception being outages (or partial outages) either within your ISP's realm (the part they have control over) or somewhere between their servers and the destination servers (the part they have no control over).  Generally speaking there a very few problems with ISP's or the Internet in that regard (both are pretty darned dependable).  A test site I use (which is free) is:

http://www.speedtest.net/

You want to run a couple tests each to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX and get an average for your download speed (the upload speed is relatively unimportant for SL use).  You should be getting about 75% of what your ISP said they provide for your service level (that means if you are paying for a 4 Mbps upload, you shold be getting approxiamently 3 Mbps).  There are periods of time when there is a heavy load on both your ISP's and the Internet's servers......so one test at one of those peak periods will probably show something less than expected.  In all fairness try several tests spread out over a day.........the average should be close to that 75%.  If you are not getting that, call your ISP to find out if it's a problem in their network.

Another test to run while you are at the "Speedtest" site is the Ping test.  Run a couple tests to both San Francisco and Dallas.  The ping time will depend on the physical distance you are located from the two locations.......if you are in Europe or Asia, the ping will be substanially higher than if you live in Northern California or Texas (there's not much you do about that except move closer.....and that's not practical).  The number that is important is the number you get for Packet Loss.  Many network managers consider 3% to be excessive.  And if you have 3% packet loss you will see pretty a big affect on the performance in SL.........5% often makes it near impossible to run SL.  You want a very low Packet Loss reading (0% or 1% is acceptable). You will also get a grade.  An "A" or "B" will give you very good performance in SL.  A "C" will be okay but you'll likely have lag and probably some disconnections once in while.  A "D" will be a headache........SL won't run well at all.  That packet loss reading does not tell you where it's occuring so you have to eliminate your computer and your home network as a source....that can be difficult if you are not familar with networks, routers and the associated software.  A few things to try or change:

Reset your router and modem.

Hard wire your connection to the router or modem if you are connected wirelessly.

Most routers are wireless (with Ethernet connections for hard wiring).  Check to see if your router is locked down and no one else is piggybacking on your connection to the ISP wirelessly.

In your preferences for your SL viewer adjust your bandwidth slider.  Do not set it higher than about 80% of you connection speed (the tested speed).  Setting the amount higher than you can recieve will often create packet loss.....it's better to have it set too low than too high.

It's possible your network interface card/device needs updated firmware (like a driver).

If all that's good and you still have packet loss call your ISP......it's possible the source is in their network.  If everything is good and you stll have packet loss, then it's probably in the Internet itself and you'll just have to wait it out..........the Internet is pretty good at resolving problems fairly quickly (there is an awful lot of commerical Internet traffic who pay high dollars for a dependably Internet).

Hi! i'm having a few problems and I was wondering if someone could help me, I don't really know much about computers...

every time I log into SL (now I'm using Imprudence 1.3.2, but I tried different versions of SL viewers & Kristens as well), I manage to walk around for a few minutes and then the region logs me off with an error msg saying it could be either my internet connection or the region experiencing troubles. The region I was trying to connect to is Smith, and there was nobody around, so I don't think it's that....and about the connection, I switched to cable instead of wireless, I am the only one using it and I tried the above-mentioned tests and these are the results:

speedtest: download 11.30 Mbps - upload 1.02 Mbps

ping test: 22ping, 0% packet loss A

I'm using a Vaio, here are the specs that I copy-pasted from help>about Imprudence:

Grid: Second Life (secondlife)

Built with MSVC version 1400

CPU: Intel Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon (0.25 micron process) with external L2 cache (2127 MHz)

Memory: 2557 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.632-090702a-084279C-Sony

OpenGL Version: 2.1.8787

any help is much appraciated! thank you :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.