Permissions

2toe Bigboots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay permissions...this is a new subject for me so. If i have one script in a set of liked prims lets say for the sake of it a hud as for Permmisions does that apply to the hole set or just that one script ?

I want to ask from one script in the hud body and have functions on diff buttons and not have to ask every time i want to do a action with a diff part of the link

Hi, permissions are mostly per script, you can even hold different permissions for different avatars in separate scripts of the same object.

For attachments, the most common permissions are granted automatically, and that works in both the root prim and child prims. PERMISSION_DEBIT is one big exception, that one always needs manual activation. PERMISSION_CHANGE_LINKS needs confirmation too, but link and unlink do not work in attachments anyway. Automatic permission granting used to only work in the root prim, but it works on child prims too now.

If you have separate scripts in HUD buttons, maybe it is time to reevaluate the design. There used to be lots of good reasons to have separate scripts in child prims, now there are very few. llDetectedLinkNumber can find what prim is touched and the script in your root prim can figure out what to do from there.

If you are using llDetectedLinkNumber, I would strongly suggest that, rather than work with the link numbers themselves, you have the script check the name or description field of the prim that's been touched -- llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(llDetectedLinkNumber(0),[PRIM_NAME,PRIM_DESC]) -- and use that to decide what to do.

That way it's far easier to understand the script, if you need to return to it later on, and you don't have to worry about redoing stuff if you change the linking for any reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.