What Shape values constitute as Small, Medium, Tall for animations?

atyid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for a guideline for which height values will be regarded as different sizes for sits!

I don't mind how rough it is, I'm looking for a place to start, and to see if there's any consensus before I give anything a try.

• Like 1

Like Rohana mentioned, it's pretty arbitrary. If an animation seller is offering different height options, they should tell you what size each animation is (roughly) meant for.

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

It is a common misconception that height is playing a significant role in SL avatar animations.

At least one thing where it really matters is ground sits (and regular unscripted sit-on-object)! If you're too tall or short, you'll either sink into the ground or hover above it. 🙂 While you can adjust your avatar's hover height, it affects all animations and needs to be adjusted back when you stop groundsitting.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

going way back in the day, a group of AO makers decided amongst themselves that Short = 155cm, Medium = 185cm and Tall = 215cm

my AO is from back in the day and contains 3 sets of animations in each of these sizes. I use the 185cm set myself which is pretty ok even when I am 185cm by the Linden viewer body shape ruler (which is actually wrong by the more true measure that TPVs typically use. My avatar is actually taller than 185cm by true measure) 

as Wulfie mentions it affects ground sits. The smaller sizes place the avatar closer to the ground than the taller sizes

sometimes also is useful when we sit on an object and override the object animation (if any) with our AO. The smaller sizes will show us sitting lower on the object surface, the taller sizes show us sitting higher from the surface

also as well, when we wear really really high heels then the Tall (215 cm) version puts  our avatar up higher when we stand so our very high heels don't sink into the ground. This used to be a problem back in the day, it has tho been pretty much negated with Hover Height since  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

In the world of SL animations, there are so many constantly changing variables that it's hard for anyone to control them and set any standard. It is a common misconception that height is playing a significant role in SL avatar animations. For more info, please read here:

This doesn't affect what I'm aiming for, but thank you!

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Like Rohana mentioned, it's pretty arbitrary. If an animation seller is offering different height options, they should tell you what size each animation is (roughly) meant for.

At least one thing where it really matters is ground sits (and regular unscripted sit-on-object)! If you're too tall or short, you'll either sink into the ground or hover above it. 🙂 While you can adjust your avatar's hover height, it affects all animations and needs to be adjusted back when you stop groundsitting.

Yeah, the numbers the animation sellers list are what I'm after.

20 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

going way back in the day, a group of AO makers decided amongst themselves that Short = 155cm, Medium = 185cm and Tall = 215cm

my AO is from back in the day and contains 3 sets of animations in each of these sizes. I use the 185cm set myself which is pretty ok even when I am 185cm by the Linden viewer body shape ruler (which is actually wrong by the more true measure that TPVs typically use. My avatar is actually taller than 185cm by true measure) 

as Wulfie mentions it affects ground sits. The smaller sizes place the avatar closer to the ground than the taller sizes

sometimes also is useful when we sit on an object and override the object animation (if any) with our AO. The smaller sizes will show us sitting lower on the object surface, the taller sizes show us sitting higher from the surface

also as well, when we wear really really high heels then the Tall (215 cm) version puts  our avatar up higher when we stand so our very high heels don't sink into the ground. This used to be a problem back in the day, it has tho been pretty much negated with Hover Height since  

Thank you so much, this is what I was looking for ;_; Heels slipped my mind, for what I'm making it'd be relevant, I really appreciate you bringing up stuff that is considered a problem of the past!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.