Can't give mesh separate faces

atyid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a set of nails with different mesh layers to make changing texture details easier. Each mesh has a different material+name in Blender, it doesn't matter if they're uploaded together, or separately and joined in-game, I can't switch between faces in the Build window. It will select one face and act like the rest don't exist.

Is there a minimum distance to make separate faces work? Is there anything I should do differently?

1 hour ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I think you might need to combine them into a single blender object.

Thank you so much, I wouldn't have thought to merge them in Blender... 😭

On 7/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, atyid said:

different mesh layers

You could use these as they are, but you would have different objects that can be colored separately rather than different faces of one object.

If you join them after importing them, you could use "Edit linked" to color the different parts OR click on each part to select the the face to color. The arrows to run through each face of an object only work when the one object has multiple faces and doesn't work through different objects that are linked.

If you are using LSL to color faces, you would have to treat them as different objects rather than different faces.

7 minutes ago, Sean Heavy said:

You could use these as they are, but you would have different objects that can be colored separately rather than different faces of one object.

If you join them after importing them, you could use "Edit linked" to color the different parts OR click on each part to select the the face to color. The arrows to run through each face of an object only work when the one object has multiple faces and doesn't work through different objects that are linked.

If you are using LSL to color faces, you would have to treat them as different objects rather than different faces.

If they're separate objects, they'll be 3 attachments to an avatar, and the objects are 0.0004 apart at most, switching between them with clicking isn't really an option.

Merging them all together in blender was a good enough fix, thank you for your input though!

20 hours ago, atyid said:

If they're separate objects, they'll be 3 attachments to an avatar, and the objects are 0.0004 apart at most, switching between them with clicking isn't really an option.

Merging them all together in blender was a good enough fix, thank you for your input though!

Even if they're separate objects, they can be linked together as a linkset so they only use one attachment slot.

Since the nails are rigged, they can be very far apart while rezzed on the ground (making them easy to click) and still look correct while attached.

The Build Tools window in the viewer also has buttons/hotkeys to select each individual part (links or faces) without needing to click on the object at all. 🙂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.