can someone explain to me why this is happening with avatar hair?

xXSuicidalIdolXx Candycane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

so is there a reason for this or is it just the way the engine was built? I am a virtual photographer in second life and while editing I notice this keeps happening. I have DOF on but the hair somehow carves out its little buffer area, I also did a video project and it was the same thing.. the hair is from stealthic, I believe it happens with other hair makers like truth and foxy, anyways please help? yall have been so good to me answering questions thank you!! ❤️

second life issue.png

2 answers to this question

The "carved out area" is transparent mesh. There's little you can do to fix it in the viewer while maintaining soft looking hair, so you will have to edit your photos after the image was taken.

For example, take the photo without any depth of field effect and add that in a photo editor.

You can take advantage of the "depth" type photo in the viewer, which you can use as a mask for adding depth of field to the actual photo.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:25 AM, xXJupiterHeightsXx Starchild said:

so is there a reason for this or is it just the way the engine was built? I am a virtual photographer in second life and while editing I notice this keeps happening. I have DOF on but the hair somehow carves out its little buffer area, I also did a video project and it was the same thing.. the hair is from stealthic, I believe it happens with other hair makers like truth and foxy, anyways please help? yall have been so good to me answering questions thank you!! ❤️

LL did recently make some changes that might help that situation.  First of all, make sure the hair is attached to your Skull.  Second, if the hair is modifiable, make sure the 'root' prim is at least partially transparent -- not just using a transparent texture, but actually set the Transparency percentage (on the Texture tab in the Edit window).

Note that the above info will only fix how the hair transparency works with your other clothing and avatar parts.  It will not help those times where the hair is in front of something in the background that is transparent.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.