I've been seeing a lot of giveaways lately. Any reason why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

It did take me forever to get used to EEP but now I can get MOST of the Windlight looks I want. Not all mind you.   

You did get a "Windlight" look in your lighting, and I'm impressed.   It took forever, it did for me too.  I finally got some lightings that are useable and easy to do.  I used a mix of Rowan's advice and Ayashe's advice to finally get some lightings I like.  

Sorry, this is off topic, I was just impressed with Chic Aeon's photographic lighting.  It's looks like the old Windlight to me, which I loved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Has nothing whatsoever to do with giveaways.  

A handful of top creators in the fashion and home goods catagories have been doing giveaways for years.  Generally, it's been with new releases.  It's an excellent way to advertise your product, IMO.   I prefer the ones who give multiple ways to enter, i.e. Facebook, Flickr, Twitter.  Some of us only use one of those and I hate when it's a Facebook only giveaway.  Don't have a Facebook account in SL anymore since technically, SL avatars aren't supposed to be allowed.   Flickr is much preferred.

Oh, these have been around forever.  

Oh, nevermind then.  

I remember giveaways from a long, long time ago in SL, like 12-15 years ago.  Or was that chairs or mightnight madness or something.  I didn't join those.

The things I did join were contents.  Those are better, imo.  Not gimmicky and gets people back into the 3D world instead of on the web.  Some should consider parties with giftcards.  I miss those!  They were fun, too, even if you didn't win.  But, if you went enough, you were bound to win something sooner or later.  I felt I won enough to keep going to them.  I usually gave back to the club though if it was lindens.

Edited by EliseAnne85

Giveaways, in one form or another, have always been a part of SL. They have been abundant enough to keep at least one website, Fabulously Free in SL, which has been around since 2007, busy. To paraphrase Shakespeare, a rose is rose by any other name. Whether you are doing a contest or a hunt, or whatever, it's still a freebie. This is what marketing does. When one strategy begins to be not as successful, they repackage it with a little bit of tweaking and call it something else. 

The economy also plays a roll of course. But I'm constantly hearing about that too. We've had ups and downs for decades. It comes with the territory. I just choose to not get my panties all in a twist over something that is likely just speculation, and even if true, there's really not much I can do about it. Life is too short for me to care.

• Like 1

I'm one of those who won some of the big-name store giveaways. Some on facebook. Some in-store giveaways. I quit doing facebook a while back because they are too insistent on verification of real-life info. I won a couple of times EACH on the two big women's clothing stores, simply because I did it when they first started the facebook contests, and there weren't that many people entering. I can't prove it because I am a serial name-changer and have been through half a dozen names in the past couple of years. Won a big in-store thing for that furniture decor place that gives away big prizes every week. Again, can't prove it, I change my name a lot. The thing is, I don't know these people, they don't know me, I buy stuff in their stores and leave. There's no hidden link between us. I can't say that's the case for every winner or every contest, but for sure nobody is picking me for anything because of my "connections."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.