"Invisible to all" status

Isobel DeSantis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there yet a parameter or setting that can make you "Invisible to All", including friends? Someone told me that there is but I can't see anything in preferences that would do that.
Many thanks
Edited by Isobel DeSantis
The first part of my question was answered in another thread

8 answers to this question

In your contact list, there's three columns about different permissions to each person. One of them is about your online status (eye icon), which you can turn off to appear offline to that person.

If a person messages you while you're appearing offline, they will not get an automatic "this message will be delivered later" notification.

If a script requests for your online status, it will always know the truth. There is no way to hide your online status from scripts.

22 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

In your contact list, there's three columns about different permissions to each person. One of them is about your online status (eye icon), which you can turn off to appear offline to that person.

If a person messages you while you're appearing offline, they will not get an automatic "this message will be delivered later" notification.

If a script requests for your online status, it will always know the truth. There is no way to hide your online status from scripts.

Thank you, I understand about being Invisible to specific friends or to all non-friends, but I was told there is a single parameter or preference that makes you invisible to all avatars (not scripts, obviously), without having to select friends individually. I don't think it exists but the person who told me about it was very sure of themselves.

9 minutes ago, Isobel DeSantis said:

Thank you, I understand about being Invisible to specific friends or to all non-friends, but I was told there is a single parameter or preference that makes you invisible to all avatars (not scripts, obviously), without having to select friends individually. I don't think it exists but the person who told me about it was very sure of themselves.

At least on the previous version of Firestorm (6.6.3):

When you right click anyone in the friend list there's an option called "Online status for friends visible", which toggles that online status from each person.

I also recall seeing the option in a different place,  but I can't find it right now. The official viewer doesn't seem to have this option.

image.png.e2092d5e93f6e9451d2b6a0526c99296.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"Online status for friends visible",

That's interesting - that option doesn't appear in 6.6.8 and I don't recall ever seeing it in earlier versions, but I did skip 6.6.3. The "Track Friend" and "Teleport to Friend" don't appear either.

It would seem from the wording that the setting would apply to ALL friends, but I guess it doesn't/didn't.

23 minutes ago, Isobel DeSantis said:

That's interesting - that option doesn't appear in 6.6.8 and I don't recall ever seeing it in earlier versions, but I did skip 6.6.3. The "Track Friend" and "Teleport to Friend" don't appear either.

It would seem from the wording that the setting would apply to ALL friends, but I guess it doesn't/didn't.

I checked on 6.6.8 and the option exists there too. It does affect all friends regardless of who you right-click on, you even get a little warning in case you have a lot of friends:

image.png.54c0ead6010fa9d327dffd42ebbfdd6c.png

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing those options.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Isobel DeSantis said:

Be sure you are looking at the Friends tab in the Contacts window and not the Friends tab of the People window.  The things Wulfie shows are only shown when right clicking a friend via the Contacts window.  I've no clue why they are different.

image.png.20d8dfce7467aefe5a26348752f7b068.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

I just found that about half an hour ago, thank you :). If I go through Comm > Friends I see the options Wulfie is talking about too. I wonder why they're so different, it doesn't make sense that they would be.

What's really crazy is that this "toggle friends invisibility" option has been available since 2015, yet there are loads of posts here and on Reddit asking if it's possible as recently as 2021. In every case the answer was "no, not possible, never has been" - Wulfie's reply is the first time I've seen someone show that it is!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.