missing file after downloading new version.

Zaks Briner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The program can't start because your computer is missing file (vcruntime140_1.dll) says to try installing the program again to fix the error, tried it and still get the same error. even tried installation of the file directly to my computer and restarted computer. and still get the same error when trying to open second life program. need to know how to fix this. thanks.

Which viewer?

That's a Microsoft created re-distributable file that is common to programs generated with a particular version of Visual C++. Most people already have it, because it got installed by with something else that used it, but it might not be present. It's a support file that should ship with the viewer.

Official Microsoft support page for this: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist

• Like 1

Hmm, that's odd since, as Animats says, it should be installed along with the viewer if it's not already on your system. And it not already being there would be a bit strange unless it's a clean Windows install.

From the link Animats gave you, download and install both the x86 and x64 versions of the libraries.

If that doesn't fix it... come back and we'll talk more.

I did get a really stupid one the other day - trying to install a Microsoft application of all things! It outright failed to even install, and when I checked the error log it was because the VC runtime installer failed. That failed because... wait for it... the runtime library was already installed! Microsoft Muppets can't even get it's own stuff together.

So, I uninstalled that library via Control Panel/Programs/Updates, then the app installed just fine including re-installing the VC library.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Daylight said:

Hmm, that's odd since, as Animats says, it should be installed along with the viewer if it's not already on your system.

Most viewers do not even bother distributing MSVC runtimes (or they distribute it with missing DLLs, or without repeated copies in llplugin/ sub-folder, because yes, Windoze sucks big time and SLPlugin.exe won't find the runtimes if not placed in its own ”home” folder), resulting in such errors when the runtimes are not installed system-wide (and one viewer I tested and I will not name by pure charity, is, on the other extreme, installing unconditionally system-wide runtimes while there are already present on the system).

There are also Micro$oft bugs in their own runtimes, e.g. with vc143 (VS2022) runtimes that complain about missing ”api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll” on Win7, because the corresponding runtime DLLs (*140.dll) reference that (Win10+ only) library (which is not part of the re-distributable VS2022 runtimes), while they do not even make any use of it (I can tell this for sure, because the viewer would nonetheless start and run just fine, after ignoring the missing DLL Windoze error dialog)... 🤪

This is why, for the Cool VL Viewer, I always test my installer on a VS-runtime-free Win7 VM, to ensure no such problem will ever occur.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had the same issue with Firestorm. I followed Firestorms advice and downloaded the latest Microsoft Visual C++ which didn't help. After banging my head against Google I found the answer to downlaod the two files that i was told was missing, one being the one the OP mentioned and I am not sure what the other file was named.

Downloaded the two files and put them where it told me and it worked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.