Some reasons FOR releasing server source code/software binaries

SchalaZeal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's likely that Linden keeps the server source and binaries proprietary to be able to profit. However, I would feel a lot better hosting my own grid/sim as opposed to having some LL affiliate host it. This way, I could have the option of having complete control over backup. Currently, if an attack occurs on a server host, they're likely hosting a ton of servers, and every single sim owner is dependent on them for backup.

I would like to place a suggestion that Linden release the hosting software as an alternative to the current sim hosting. There could be a payment plan for it such as the premium membership for example. Or perhaps to compete with Opensim, keep it free and opensource, with premium server features able to be bought.

It's just that right now with LL controlling all the servers, they are, in effect, the biggest threat to SL's community. Again, an online attacker could easily hit LL and crash all the servers or worse. If LL were to give the option of independent hosting, such an event wouldn't have such an impact.

Please consider this Linden. Thanks!

This is really not the proper place to make such a suggest/request.  Everyone here is a resident (just like you) and have absolutely no control or input to what Linden Lab does or does not do.  Especially when it comes to server code (software).  I'm sure you are correct on the proprietory aspect...........I really doubt your idea will go far as long as LL is in business to make a profit.

Contact Linden Research (the parent company for Linden Lab) directly with your idea/request.  Who knows they may jump all over it and welcome your independent "grid".  However, if you read the ToS you will find Linden Lab has limited liability for content on the SL grid........they are pretty much covered in that area.  And, if you have the concerns you apparently have I'm pretty sure they will point you the ToS.......and if you lose content then you're just out of luck.  If you don't agree, then don't participate.  Simple and probably blunt, but thats the reality of virtual (Internet) investments.  Not bank is going to give you what you want from LL just because you can't back up your assets and have to rely on them to do it for you.  Yeah the liabilities are a little different but you "sign off" on that when you said "OK" to the Tos.

Well yes, I do understand the ToS exempts them from liability. However, just because it exempts them shouldn't mean preventable measures shouldn't be in place. It's pretty much similar to a teacher whose been granted tenure. Just because they get tenure doesn't mean they should just sit around all day in front of kids doing nothing.

But I will take LR up on this suggestion. Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.