Separating Caches And Settings For Different Viewers

Anya Yalin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone :)

I'm having an issue with my viewer installs that I was hoping someone could help me with. I currently have Viewer 1.23, Viewer 2.7 and Kirstens S21 viewer installed. I've mostly been using 1.23, but I'm trying to force myself to switch over to 2.7 now that mesh is coming. I would still like to use 1.23 on occasion though.

I was having some texture rezzing problems with 2.7 earlier, which prompted me to manually clear my cache. I resolved the texture problems, but in doing so I noticed that 1.23 and 2.7 were using the same cache location. I figured it'd be best to separate them to avoid conflict.

I know that 1.23 allows you to change the cache location through Edit>Preferences>Network, 2.7 through Me>Preferences>Setup. By default both viewers were using AppData>Local>SecondLife for their cache. (I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.) I created two subfolders in this location, so each viewer would have its own folder. However, when I change the directory for one viewer, the other viewer automatically switches to this location as well! I've tried making folders in other locations on my computer and the result is the same. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled both viewers, to no avail. They simply won't separate their caches. Another problem is that I keep losing my preferences when switching between viewers. Clearly these viewers are interfering with each other.

I noticed that 1.23 and 2.7 are not only pulling on the same AppData>Local>SecondLife folder, but also share AppData>Roaming>SecondLife (where chat logs are stored, among other things). Kirstens viewer does not have this problem. It has its own folder in AppData>Local and AppData>Roaming. As a result, its settings and cache are completely separate.

So how on earth do I separate the 1.23 and 2.7 caches and settings? The installers don't specify any options for this. Others seem to have done this without any issue, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Change the desktop shortcut you use to start the viewers and include the "--settings" command line option so it looks like something this (path names are examples and may differ on your system):

C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer2\SecondLife.exe --settings viewer2.xml

and

C:\Program Files\SecondLife\SecondLife.exe --settings viewer1.xml

By doing that, each viewer will use a separate configuration file and they don't mess up each others.

Thanks so much :D

That did the trick.

I totally didn't think about using shortcut command lines to do this. I'd only been using "--multiple" so I could run multiple viewer instances.

Thanks again! I very much appreciate the help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.