Jewelry for Viewer 2 Please and/or Advice about Jewelry

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I finally took my first photo and downloaded it here.  (You have to click on my name Mayalily, find the photo to the right, and then enlarge it).  Okay, I know I need to work on my shape, but that's another thread.  And that's not my favorite color shade of hair, but that's not important right now. 

What I want you to look at is the necklace I am wearing; it doesn't go all the way around the neck, and the other necklaces I have are worse.  The other necklaces just look stuck on the collar bone area and do not go all the way around the neck.  I do believe the jewelry said modify, but I can't find any resizer menu by clicking on the jewelry, nor does right clicking give me anything other than a detach option.

I sent an IM to the person I purchased most of the necklaces from, asking if she could make some kind of alpha layer for me or something so that the necklaces go all the way around my neck.  Again, designer does not want to respond. 

This problem with the jewelry has kept me from taking a profile photo for three months because I love jewelry in RL and in SL I want to wear jewelry, and I'd also like jewelry in my photos to look good.

Anyhow, anyone designing jewelry for viewer 2?, or could someone explain why jewelry doesn't go all the way around my avi's neck like it shows in the model photos of the product?    Again, necklaces are stuck on the collar bone area.  I've tried some demos, but they don't seem to work for me too well.  I couldn't see much or something in the demo itself was blocking my view.

ETA:  Oh yes and in the photo I know I have too much make-up on, so ignore that please, I was playing with make-up at the time I finally had time to do a photo to see what's up with the jewelry. 

from looking at the photo - isn't it just a matter of repositioning the necklace to fit better? very few attachments fit correctly right out of the box. pull it a little up from the chest and backwards.

if you bought a piece of jewelry that is no mod i would either ask the merchant for a mod version, or to return it/get a refund if they are unwilling to cough up something you can modify. and then look other places for jewelry you can modify.

an alpha layer in this case would do more harm to your looks that an ill fitting necklace. an alpha layer would make parts of your body invisible. so you would perhaps have a necklace that appears to fit right from the front, but on the other hand there would be a big hole in your neck. i would go with getting a modifiable peice.

Maybe it has to do with your shape. When you are taller then the average size jewelry creators use to fit their items on, the necklace might sink to deep in your neck.Or when your neck is thicker, same thing.

You can adjust your necklace by moving it a bit up. Use a posestand, so you stand perfectly still when you do this.

I agree with bee -- it looks to me, at first sight, more like a problem with positioning than anything else.  Minor tweaks to the object's rotation can often make a great difference (for better or worse).

I normally expect to spend quite a bit of time adjusting necklaces.  But very rarely, and only as a last resort, do I try to modify the necklace itself, as opposed to its position and rotation, simply because that is pretty tricky even if you are used to working with SL jewelry.   And it's rarely necessary with things like necklaces, I find.

When adjusting stuff with V2, remember that CTRL-Z (undo) is your friend!

Jump onto a pose stand (not vital, but it helps a lot since it immobilises you), select the item and bring up the right click context menu.   Even if "Edit" seems to be greyed out, click it anyway -- sometimes the option is greyed out because you can't modify the object (e.g. resize it or change the texture), but you should always be able to reposition it.   

If that's a problem, bring up the Edit menu by clicking CTRL 3 before you try to select it -- that opens the edit window.

Other useful shortcuts to know are CTRL 0 ( zero, not the the letter O) to zoom your camera in on the item once you've selected it, and then CTRL 9 to restore the normal view when you've finished.

ETA -- I'm assuming you're logged in using "Advanced" mode.

Okay, I'm going to write all these tips down and log into SL and see what I can do.  I'll get back to thread with update after I find out what happens. 

ETA:  Yes I am using advanced, viewer 2, download from this SL website; no third party viewer or anything. 

:matte-motes-grin:  Okay, it's FINALLY WORKING!  It took about two minutes for the edit to finally come up once I was on the pose stand.  I managed to move the jewelry a little, and took a quick snapshot.  You can compare the two photos by clicking on my name Mayalily and then click each photo to enlarge.  That's my default makeup on, and I have my favorite necklace on that I wear almost every day on SL!   It looks much better, but is very hard to work those little items.  I had no success in stretching my bracelet, however. 

very happy to hear you got it to work for you and it looks great, btw :matte-motes-smile:

yes, tiny prims can be very difficult to handle. i recommend perfecting camming skills, that will help tremendously. also, some viewers (i won't say which ones <cough>phoenix</cough>) allows you to disable the minimum camera zoom distance - so when editing attachments you can actually cam as close as you need and even into and through the avatar body - a feature i don't think i can slive without after discovering. the alternative is to lock the cam on an object close to, but not attached to, the avatar and maneuver the cam carefully. such a waste of time =)

it shouldn't take 2 minutes for the edit menu to pop up. sounds like either a really laggy sim or poor internet connection.

Glad you got it working...this sounds like you have no-mod jewellery, so couldn't stretch the prims. It definately beeded to be lifted up though, as you must be a bit taller than the person it was built on.

It can be quite hard selecting worn prims that are close to your body, so I understand how it can take a few tries to get the edit menu up. Three things you can try are -

1) Using Phoenix....try edit-preferences-input and camera-slide camera view angle all the way to the left.this will allow you to get right in to where the action is.

2)Camming round and selecting the necklace from different angles. Sometimes the back of the neck works, or sometimes it sticks out a bit over the curve of the shoulder.

3)Holding down shift while mouse clicking, and attempting to drag a selection around the worn necklace.

You can tell if the item is moddable (despite what the perms say) by seeing if the texture window is blanked out or not while it's selected. If the texture shows in the window, you'll be able to edit the size of the whole object, or select single prims to change. Just make a copy first :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.