"Use LOD above" vs "Load from file" diff. if same model?

Rick Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I sometimes use the exact same model for High and Medium LOD models, or Low and Lowest. Does it make any difference if I choose "Use LOD above" versus "Load from file" with an identical dae file?

The difference I wonder about is when subsequently viewing the uploaded mesh, if the LOD models on the asset server are indicated as identical... so the viewer knows it doesn't have to download both models and switch between High and Medium because they are the same.

I'm guessing that's not the case and the LOD models are all individual once uploaded, so it makes no difference.

Edited by Rick Daylight

Usually it's easier/faster to just use the LOD above option anyway. Since a couple of month, somehow the uploader doesn't load the models properly when I use that option. I have to load the high LoD file again and, it all corrects itself, though. Bit annoying, but works for me.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

and the LOD models are all individual once uploaded, so it makes no difference.

According to Linden Lab they aren't and for once I tend to believe them. If you choose "Use LOD above", the uploader will only upload one copy of the LOD model, saving bandwidth and eliminiating one time consuming LOD swap.

If you select the same file for two or more LOD models, they will be handled as separate filers all the way. Or at least that's how it used to be. Soft Linden filed a JIRA about it back in 2014 and it rmained open for years. I can't find that JIRA now and that may mean the uploader has been updated to detect such duplicate files.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.