"Sit on object" not working (even on a basic cube prim!)-SOLVED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an item I wanted to set so that the default action is to sit on it, but when I set it that way and then try to sit on it I get the error message: "No room to sit here, try another spot"

I have even tried adding in a couple of basic sit scripts (individually) that I had and still get the same error message.

It even happens when I just rez a basic cube and try to make it 'sittable'

I'm not sure what's going on, I know scripts aren't disabled in the location I'm in as all the other scripted items nearby me work just fine.  It only seems to be affecting items I want to set as 'sit targets'.

Anyone know a possible workaround?

BTW - If I pickup the item and go to a sandbox and rez it there it works as it should, but when I rez it in the location I want to use it in it doesn't work.

I don't know if this is a server bug or not but the server code version for the location I want to us it in is 11.05.31.231546 the name of the region is Oliana.

If someone knows a workaround for this problem I'd be grateful if they'd share it with me.

Thank you,

Sarrah Windlow

PS. - I put this in the Building & Texturing forum because the 'Sit on object' setting isn't a script in it's own right, but rather an option on the edit window to choose how the item is interacted with.  So please don't flame me for putting it here, as it clearly doesn't belong in the scripting forum either.

ETA: LOL, using a script works much better when you remember to set it to 'running' :P  PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Sarrah Windlow wrote:

I have an item I wanted to set so that the default action is to sit on it, but when I set it that way and then try to sit on it I get the error message: "No room to sit here, try another spot"

If it say "No room to sit" it is probably what it is:smileyvery-happy:

The reason can be:

• Prim too small
  • Prim too close to other prims
  • Prim hiding behind a transparent prim or inside a bounding box of another prim

I'm going to guess you haven't built much in SL, because a basic prim cube freshly rezzed from the build menu is NOT too small to sit on, and as I stated I get the same problem when I rez a basic prim cube and set it as a sit target, with no other prims nearby even.  I can right click and edit the item no problem, and without moving my cursor when I click on the item to sit on it I get the error message.  If it were a problem with being in the bounding box of another prim then when I right click to edit it I would be editing the other prim not the one I want to sit on, but I have NO problem editing the prim I want to sit on at all.

I was getting the sit target cursor when I hovered it over my object (when I had set a sit target, both my test prim and my actual item), AFIK that wouldn't happen if I was inside another prim and that other prim was interfering.  Anyway using a script with llSitTarget in it got it working (once I remembered to set the script to running at least).  But it's kind of odd to me that when I enabled the 'Sit on object' setting it worked as one would expect in a sandbox WITHOUT having to use the script with 'llSitTarget' to specify the offsets and rotation.  I was able to just rez my item (again with 'Sit on object' enabled) and it worked!  However when I went back to where I wanted to use it, once again it wouldn't work without having the 'llSitTarget' script in it.  Major pain in the a**!  Especially since I had to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the offsets and the rotation, whereas in the sandbox I didn't need to do any of that to have a functioning sit target, that's one reason I was wondering if it was a server code bug maybe.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

one reason is a very subtle one, you may be inside another items scope.  i know, you say you are not.  but one common example is if you have a "surround-sim" around your sim.

Some have special design to allow sitting. but others end up blocking any random sitting inside the sim unless the target object has an explicit sit target.

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem in my sim, impossible to sit on the prims, also in a basic prim: the problem was caused by the Offsim. Mouse on the Offsim, left button pressed for some seconds and a pop up appear where it's possible to Enable or Disable the possibility to sit in the region. That's it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.