why does SL keep logging me off?

Magelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've recently had an issue with my computer that caused me to restore it.  I download SL viewer 2 back onto it and now whenever I sign on, I get booted off after 5 to 10 mins.  I also downloaded Beta and the same thing happens.  I've put SL under allowed in my firewall so I don't understand what's going on.  Please rescue me!!!!!

1 answer to this question

It's very hard to say without more details, but the most common reason for repeated crashes is a connection problem. Unlike most other programs on your computer, SL not only uses a large amount of bandwidth, it also needs to maintain a continuous data stream between your computer and its servers.  If that data stream is interrupted for even a second or so, you will usually crash.  The problem might be wih your ISP or the cable in the street, but I'd look closer to home first.  If you have been using wireless, don't.  Garage door openers, cell phones, and all sorts of other electronic equipment can interfere, robbing bandwidth.  Use a direct cable connection instead.  Then, unplug your modem and your router.  Leave them unplugged for a couple of minutes and them plug them back in.  That will reboot both of them and force them to establish a fresh IP address.  If it has been a while since you upgraded the drivers for your router, do it now.  If your router is more than 2 or 3 years old, consider replacing it.  If those steps don't help, come back and we'll try something else.  Good luck.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.