Trying to link multiple mesh, worn objects.

Marymommy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im not certain this is possible, but asking here just in case. I have two piercings for my face, a piercing for the bridge of my nose, another for my chin. Separately, each attaches to my avatar at different points, nose and chin respectively. I have the ability to modify both. neither are rigged so I can move either freely while they are attached to my avatar. Should I rez both on the ground, I can link them, however, attempting to link the resulting combination has one of the items a great deal out of place, and as my chin moves independently of my nose, even using 'edit linked' and moving the item to sit roughly in the right place doesnt really help. 
If I have the two items attached to my avatar and choose both in edit, and select 'link' an error message pops up stating "Link failed, nothing linkable'.  My hope in doing this would be to reduce the overall number of mesh items the system considered attached to my avatar. So, ultimately, is there a way to link two attachable mesh items so they sit and act appropriately in their respective locations?

7 minutes ago, Marymommy said:

So, ultimately, is there a way to link two attachable mesh items so they sit and act appropriately in their respective locations?

No. If you link them together you'll get a single clumped object (technically called a "linkset") that operates and attaches as one thing. If neither is rigged, the pair will attach together at one spot. (Rigging complicates matters. Rigged objects always appear in the place they're rigged for no matter where they're attached, even if they're inside a linkset with non-rigged things.)

Avatars aren't rated on the number of attachments, though, so combining them wouldn't help anyway. SL goes by rendering complexity for avatars, and that wouldn't change.

sounds like a neat problem, would think if the two objects were linked on ground and then have option to assign one of those linked objects to one part of the body and the other linked object to another part of the body it would doable.

something like this would make rigging rigid mesh in world lot easier. one object several attachment points. 

maybe in the future build tools and linking system gets overhauled a bit. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.